Stop the use of palm oil in UK banknotes - URGENT
This petition had 9,485 supporters
The Bank of England is holding a consultation to seek the views of the public on polymer notes, namely the next £20 note and future reprints of the £5 and £10. They are opting to use palm oil rather than sustainable alternatives such as hemp. The general public do not approve of the polymer notes and have no need for them. The elderly in particular have great difficulty handling the new shiny, bouncy, springy notes. They do not fold, they do not stack well, they slip from your fingers and from wallets and purses.
We have until 12th May to make our voices heard and to try and put a stop to the mass destruction and suffering this will cause. Please sign this petition and also take a few minutes to send your urgent feedback to the BOE using the link at the bottom of this page - http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/banknotes/polymer/Pages/pc2017.aspx
Palm oil is a major cause of climate change and deforestation in Indonesia and Malaysia. Palm oil is also the leading cause of orangutan extinction, and in addition several other species will be made endangered or extinct.
CRITICALLY ENDANGERED SPECIES due to Palm Oil:
Bornean Orangutan, Sumatran Orangutan, Sumatran Elephant,
Sumatran Rhino, Javan Rhino (the rarest large mammal on Earth, with 63 left in the wild and none in captivity), Sumatran Tiger, Golden-Mantled Tree-Kangaroo, Javan Slow Loris, Celebes Crested Macaque, Pygmy Tarsiers, and more.
Information collected from IUCN. https://www.iucn.org/
1. Habitat Loss due to the 300 football field sized areas of rainforests and peatlands cleared, every hour, to plant more Oil Palm Trees.
2. Killed by Palm oil plantation workers for being a nuisance and eating Palm fruit because their food sources are being destroyed along with the rainforest.
3. Mother orangutans killed by poachers, to steal their babies, to sell on the black market as pets and prostitutes, who have gained access to them by roads created for access to the Oil Palm Trees.
4. Starvation because their food sources are being burned down to create more room for more Oil Palm Trees.
5. Burned alive because they get caught, with no where to go, in the raging wildfires set by people in order to make more room to plant more and more Oil Palm Trees.
6. Smoke inhalation from those same fires, IT goes on and on.
Palm oil, like animal agriculture, is a leading cause for mass deforestation and pushing countless species towards a most cruel and brutal extinction. Palm oil is responsible for the clearing of over 300 football fields worth of rainforest per hour–and these rates were documented years ago, since then the palm oil industry has grown significantly and continues to grow due to lack of boycotting customers. It is responsible for both indirect and direct cruelty to animals. It is responsible for human harm as well and destroys the lives of indigenous peoples through land theft, slave labor, and harming human health from the constant purposefully induced wildfires.
Also, entire peat lands are destroyed to make way for palm oil plantations, and that too is devastating to the environment and contributes to global warming. If wildlife such as orangutans, rhinos, tigers, elephants, and countless others, aren’t being brutally slaughtered and babies being orphaned due to the violent and constant clearing of the forests, the plantation workers are hired to either bludgeon, stab, or poison to death any surviving animals who try to find food and shelter in the only land left to them: the palm oil plantations. All of this occurs for “sustainable palm oil.” “Sustainable palm oil” is nothing more than propaganda created by the biggest buyers of palm oil industry. It's cheap - but their lives are not.
We have to stop this, urgently.
Today: emma is counting on you
emma McArthur needs your help with “Bank of England: Stop the use of palm oil in UK banknotes - URGENT”. Join emma and 9,484 supporters today.