Fund A New Northeast Middle School
This petition had 472 supporters
Baltimore County must act immediately to provide solutions to relieve Perry Hall Middle School overcrowding! Our children and teachers have suffered far too long and the situation is only getting worse.
More than 2,000 students are projected to be packed into Perry Hall Middle School for the 2018-2019 school year - more than 400 over the school's state rated capacity. That's the equivalent of adding an entire elementary school!
Perry Hall Middle started the 2016-2017 school year at 110% of building capacity and district projections show a near 7% growth rate each year for the next three years. Projected enrollment remains above 2,000 students through 2026. No relief is in sight! And Baltimore County has no solution!
Why is overcrowding a problem?
- Perry Hall Middle School is out of classroom space and lockers.
- Children are forced to navigate jam-packed hallways and struggle just to travel safely between classes.
- There is not enough space in the cafeteria; so a fourth lunch shift was added, forcing children to eat lunch starting at 10:10 am, shortly after arriving to school. Those that can't bring themselves to eat lunch this early are extremely hungry to the point of illness by dismissal.
- Administrative and support staff positions have not increased to support the growth in student population.
- Students are packed into buses - often seated three students to one seat. It is not uncommon for students to be forced into aisles and seated on floors because there are too many students on buses.
- Three trailers were added this year and another five trailers are reportedly being added for next year, sacrificing athletic fields for use by the school and local recreation programs.
Perry Hall Middle School students need SPACE to LEARN and GROW. Mr. Kamenetz, we implore you to act IMMEDIATELY on solutions to address these urgent concerns.
Today: Northeast Area is counting on you
Northeast Area Education Advisory Council needs your help with “Baltimore County Executive Kevin Kamenetz: Fund A New Northeast Baltimore County Middle School”. Join Northeast Area and 471 supporters today.