Aventura Styrofoam Ban
Cette pétition avait 1 937 signataires
The production, use, and disposal of Polystyrene (a substance more
commonly known as Styrofoam) causes adverse environmental and health
effects. These impacts are of considerable concern, as, according to the
Environmental Production Agency, Styrofoam is the fifth largest source of
hazardous waste in the United States
- Styrofoam is composed of Benzene and Styrene, both of which are known human carcinogens.
- 90,000 workers are estimated to be exposed to Styrene every year. This exposure causes a variety of mutations to the central and peripheral nervous systems.
- Benzene and Styrene have been linked to incidences of both Parkinson’s disease and leukemia.
- The production of Styrofoam is energy intensive, creating large amounts of greenhouse gases. These problems rank the environmental production costs of Styrofoam as second worst in the U.S. by the California Integrated Waste Management Board.
- Hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), used in the production of Styrofoam, result in air pollution, causing damage to the ozone layer. They are now known to be 3-5 times more dangerous than originally believed.
Microwaving Styrofoam causes the release of toxic chemicals, which
poses a threat to human health.
Polystyrene is not usually recycled due to its lightweight nature and
the high economic cost of transporting and degreasing the
25-30% of landfills are dedicated to plastics, including styrofoam.
Polystyrene takes at least five hundred years to decompose.
Styrofoam is the primary source of urban litter.
Styrofoam is the main pollutant of oceans, bays, and other United
States water sources.
Styrofoam causes choking and starvation in wildlife
Information was taken from : http://sustainability.wustl.edu/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Impacts-of-Styrofoam.pdf
SIGNING THIS PETITION WILL SHOW THAT WE CARE ABOUT OUR ENVIRONMENT AND OUR HEALTH. HELP BAN STYROFOAM !
Besides,Miami Beach, Key Biscayne, Surfside, North Bay Village, Bal Harbour and Bay Harbor Islands have all passed ordinances banning these products in their city facilities and beach! Let's follow their example.
Pétitions à la une
Sarah compte sur vous aujourd'hui
Sarah Belfer a besoin de votre aide pour sa pétition “Aventura City Commission, Aventura Mayor: Aventura Styrofoam Ban”. Rejoignez Sarah et 1 936 signataires.