- Australian federal government
Australian Govt to support the ANZAC PARADE in Blue Mountains NSW the right to march.
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100.
Anzac Day marches across the Mountains have been cancelled this year because of the additional costs of anti-terrorism measures imposed by local police.
These include the use of water-filled barriers to close roads, initiated in the wake of the Nice attack last July.
David White, spokesman for the Mountains ex-services organisations, said the decision to cancel marches in Katoomba, Blackheath, Springwood and Glenbrook was taken with a heavy heart.
“We are devastated that we have had to take this action because it’s such a long, unbroken tradition and something which we believe is cherished by the local communities.
“It’s that loss of something which has been treasured by the community which breaks our hearts.”
Mr White continued: “The terrorists are winning. I say that because the reaction to events overseas continues to provoke over-reactions here, in our view, which require mitigation actions that are beyond our means.”
There will still be dawn services and wreath-laying ceremonies, Mr White said. There will also be a march in Lawson, which has been privately funded.
The four sub-branches have appealed to the state government to ease the traffic obligations or to help with costs, without success.
Council, which is believed to have spent $70,000 over the past two years to ensure the marches went ahead, is unable to continue the financial assistance this year.
Mr White said the sub-branches appreciated that both council and police had been “extremely supportive of our attempts to maintain our marches in the face of the regulatory challenges now in place”.
Council has raised the issue with both state and federal governments and is seeking advice on other practical and more cost effective long-term alternatives solutions to water barriers, a spokeswoman said.
Blue Mountains mayor Mark Greenhill posted on his Facebook page on January 11 the decision “is a direct result of state government restrictions. I have appealed to the state government to fix this problem that comes under their area of responsibility”.
- Australian federal government
- NSW Police
As an Australian Citizen, I would appreciate the tradition of the ANZACS upheld with every available means to march within the Blue Mountains Area, NSW Australia.
I believe our ANZACS deserve a better level of respect no matter the lack of funding or lack of government / local council support.
Let our boys march.
Let Australians experience and share the legacy of the ANZACS and our veteran community.
For it is our tradition and history.
It is our legacy.
Lest We Forget
CHILDREN OF VIETNAM VETERANS started this petition with a single signature, and now has 97 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: CHILDREN OF VIETNAM VETERANS is counting on you
CHILDREN OF VIETNAM VETERANS needs your help with “Australian Federal Government: Australian Govt to support the ANZAC PARADE in Blue Mountains the right to march”. Join CHILDREN OF VIETNAM VETERANS and 96 supporters today.