This petition had 398 supporters
1. Everyone in Augusta-Richmond County has the right to breathe clean indoor air. That includes both workers and patrons.
2. 78% of adults in the Augusta Health District don’t smoke, but 21% of adults are still exposed to secondhand smoke in the workplace. By supporting a comprehensive smokefree ordinance, the commission will ensure a majority of voters can enjoy the right to live, learn, work, play, worship and age in a smokefree environment—a right that many other states and numerous individual cities across the nation are now guaranteeing.
3. 94% of Augusta-Richmond County residents surveyed think secondhand smoke is harmful, and 82% of Augusta-Richmond County residents say that smoking should never be allowed indoors at workplaces. (according to the Survey Research Center at the University of Georgia)
4. Exposure to secondhand smoke has immediate adverse effects on the cardiovascular system and can cause coronary heart disease and stroke. Even brief exposure to secondhand smoke can damage the lining of blood vessels and cause sticking of the blood platelets. These changes can cause a deadly heart attack. In fact, just five minutes of exposure to secondhand smoke is like smoking a cigarette.
5. Augusta-Richmond County is positioned for growth. As businesses and families prepare to make their homes here, quality of life factors such as health are major influencers. A smokefree ordinance is a key part of that and would publicly acknowledge Augusta-Richmond County’s commitment to the health of its citizens and visitors.
Today: BreathEasy Augusta is counting on you
BreathEasy Augusta needs your help with “Augusta-Richmond County: Smokefree AUG”. Join BreathEasy Augusta and 397 supporters today.