Let (Canadian) youth run!
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
Hello, my name is Madison Page, I live in Canada and am 12 years of age. We are here today because I was planning on running a half-marathon until hearing concerns (the Canada athletic recommendations) regarding youth under 16 running a half-marathon. I have looked and have found no organized runs letting youth run. I find this truly unfair, especially since I have followed a strict training guide and paid attention to my health. Although youth my age can run the Army Run's 10+5 km, it is not the same thing and does not give some people the same satisfaction. This petition will petition the Athletics Canada Board of Directors to lift this guideline as well as The Army Run organization, the Ottawa Marathon and the Montreal Marathon organization.
Here are some reasons youth should run:
1. Having a goal to work towards, being active, having more of a life balance, having a hobby, having something to take their minds off dilemmas and getting physically stronger are all great reasons youth should run.
2. There are training programs such as the one in the book "Unbreakable Runner" to prevent injuries.
3. Letting kids participate in organized and/or competitive sports means making the kids doing sports run more (on average) than the kids training (running).
4. "Childhood obesity is a serious medical condition that affects children and adolescents." This text is from mayoclinic.org and gives us another reason kids should run. If children are active, they have fewer chances of becoming obese, having heart problems and they have a better general mindset (assuming they want to do the sport). These statements can be proven by https://www.dairygoodness.ca/good-health/healthy-active-living/the-benefits-of-being-active
5. Although children can run up to 10 km in racing, in most cases, the bigger the accomplishment the more it boosts self-esteem. This could be an advantage to youth with low self-esteem and low self-confidence. This statement can be proven by https://www.halfmarathons.net/10-reasons-run-half-marathon-2016/
Here are some websites to consult to prove and back up my points as well as give other points:
If you have any questions or concerns, please comment them down below and I will try to get back to you as soon as possible.
Please sign this petition if you agree with these reasons, but also if you want to prove age is just a number!
Today: Madison is counting on you
Madison Page needs your help with “Athletics Canada Board of Directors: Let (Canadian) youth run!”. Join Madison and 25 supporters today.