Extinguish /Prevent Fires in the Arctic & the World's Rainforests
0 have signed. Let’s get to 150,000!
Raging forest fires have engulfed millions of acres in Siberia over a period of months now - more than 20 some million acres according to Greenpeace Russia or 11.5 million acres /4.5 million hectares according the the Russian government , an area at least the size of Europe, likely twice that Not only has forest and other habitat and wildlife being lost and human health and life put at great risk from the dense smoke , but the burning of forest, scrub and peat is emitting enormous amounts of greenhouse gas in the form of CO2 into the atmosphere. Additionally, and very importantly, the already melting Arctic permafrost (frozen soil) which has begun to melt very substantially, is thus causing suffering and displacement/a refugee crisis very likely fomented by this fire . Importantly and alarmingly, the fire has more than likely accelerated the process of dangerous release of heat-trapping carbon into the atmosphere, as both CO@ and methane formerly stored in the permafrost .
Additionally forest fires were allowed to be set and raged unchecked for months this Summer in the Brazilian Amazon rain forest , and are still burning in some areas. The Amazonian rainforest is one of the world's largest carbon sinks, sources of oxygen , and an important creator of world-rainfall , as well as a place with vast species diversity. and it must be adequately preserved and protected.
We call upon the nation state members of the United Nations, the trade partners of Russian and Brazil , and the World community to:
1) Recognize the Arctic , and especially Siberia, as well as the world's rainforests as two of the world's greatest assets or losses in mitigating the effects of dangerous climate change, and thus the world's responsibility to protect these areas as well as possible from destructive fires and other events that cause warming , as well as carbon release and loss of carbon sinks
2) Require Russia and other countries and/or territories with areas in the Arctic to :
a) extinguish all Arctic fires within the geographical boundaries of their countries to the best of their ability , with help from the international community when and if needed
b) take aggressive steps to prevent large fires in the future. We ask that countries who are trade partners with Russia and other Arctic countries use trade policy, including but not exclusive to sanctions and/or import tariff for for leverage as needed
3) Require countries containing the worlds rain forests, including the Amazonian rain forest to extinguish all destructive fires within the geographical boundaries of their countries to the best of their ability . We ask that countries who are trade partners with Brazil and other countries in South America as well as Indonesia use trade policy , including but not exclusive to sanctions and/or import tariffs , and/or lack of participation in the European Union–Mercosur free trade agreement in the case of EU countries for leverage as needed
3) Adequately aid Russia and other Arctic countries or territories in extinguishing the currently burning fires immediately , as well as any future fires, by providing monetary and/or other resources such as equipment and fire-fighters as necessary
4) Adequately aid Brazil , Bolivia, Indonesia and other countries or territories with large rainforests in extinguishing any currently burning fires immediately , as well as any future fires, by providing monetary and/or other resources such as equipment and fire-fighters
Sincerely, Dana J Woods and all signers of this petition
Complete your signature
0 have signed. Let’s get to 150,000!