- International Astronomical Union (Office for Astronomy Outreach)Office for Astronomy Outreach
- IAURita Schulz Chair of Division F - Planetary System Nomenclature
- The Planetary SocietyEmily Lakdawalla, Senior Editor and Planetary Evangelist
Please name something on Mars after David Bowie.
The late musician David Bowie had a huge impact on popular culture by adopting the persona of a Martian in his classic space rock opera of 1972, Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars and with his earlier song, Life on Mars?.
More than any other figure in popular culture, Bowie made the idea of references to other worlds seem a normal, unremarkable component of our culture. Specifically, in his music, there are many allusions and explicit references to Mars. In so doing, David Bowie's service to the cause of planetary sciences, by normalizing outer space and Mars as everyday elements of popular culture, is very great indeed.
We ask the International Astronomical Union (IAU) to name a major landscape feature on Mars in honor of David Bowie. We ask the Planetary Society to assist us in this effort.
- Office for Astronomy Outreach
International Astronomical Union (Office for Astronomy Outreach)
- Rita Schulz Chair of Division F - Planetary System Nomenclature
- Emily Lakdawalla, Senior Editor and Planetary Evangelist
The Planetary Society
Ask the International Astronomical Union name something on Mars after David Bowie.
Alan Carmody started this petition with a single signature, and now has 2,558 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.