We will achieve full equality when LGBT people are fully accepted by society. Until then, Equality California will continue to champion legislation to protect every LGBT Californian. Write Governor Schwarzenegger and urge him to protect LGBT Californians by signing seven Equality California-sponsored bills into law. These bills will help some of the most vulnerable members of the LGBT community and will advance equality.
These important bills are:
• The Mental Health Services for At-Risk Youth bill (Leno) will increase LGBT youths’ access to counseling.
• The Repeal of Discriminatory Code bill (Lowenthal) will end California’s search for a “gay cure.”
• The Civil Marriage Religious Freedom Act (Leno) will codify freedom of religion in relation to civil marriage.
• The LGBT Prisoner Safety Act (Ammiano) will reduce violence against LGBT people in the state prison system.
• The Separation Equity Act (Ma) will allow same-sex couples to dissolve their domestic partnerships and civil marriages at the same time.
• The Hate Crimes Protection Act (Saldaña) will prohibit contracts from requiring a person to waive their right to sue if they are the victim of a hate crime.
• The Unemployment Benefits Equality bill (De La Torre) will give individuals entering domestic partnerships the same rights as those getting married to obtain unemployment benefits.
They deserve your support. Thank you.