PETITION FOR IMPEACHMENT OF MAYOR BRETT DUNGAN, BAYOU LA BATRE, ALABAMA
This petition made change with 67 supporters!
We the people of the City of Bayou La Batre, on September 24, 2013, elected Brett Dungan as Mayor of the City of Bayou La Batre to fulfill the three-plus years remaining in the term of our former Mayor who was convicted of four federal corruption and retaliation charges and sentenced to 15 months in federal prison.
We the people of the City of Bayou La Batre do believe that during his short time in office Mayor Brett Dungan has betrayed and taken advantage of the faith, trust, and good will bestowed upon him by the citizens of Bayou La Batre during what has been one of the most vulnerable, difficult, contentious, and painful periods in our beloved City’s history.
We the people of the City of Bayou La Batre do believe that Mayor Brett Dungan’s actions while in office have served to further eroded our faith and trust in our elected officials, caused greater discord amongst the citizens of Bayou La Batre, and have brought the City of Bayou La Batre to the brink of financial ruin.
We the people of the City of Bayou La Batre do believe that Mayor Brett Dungan’s actions are made even more reprehensible, both morally and ethically, by virtue of the circumstances under which he was elected.
We the people of the City of Bayou La Batre do hereby petition Mobile County District Attorney, Ashley Rich to immediately execute impeachment proceedings against Mayor Brett Dungan of the City of Bayou La Batre, Alabama for the following reasons as set forth by the laws of the State of Alabama: Corruption in Office, Offenses involving Moral Turpitude while in office, Willful Neglect of Duties, and Incompetence:
A. On or about June 5, 2015, Mayor Brett Dungan pled guilty to charges brought against him by the Alabama State Ethics Commission of using public office for personal gain when public workers were sent to repair damage to a Waffle House handicap sign Mayor Dungan hit with his personal vehicle after he attempted to park there. Mayor Dungan is not handicap.
1. Worse than the actual event itself, Mayor Dugan initiated a cover-up of the event that included him and his staff repeatedly lying to the citizens of Bayou La Batre, investigators with the State Ethics Commission, and the media.
B. June 24, 2015, Mayor Brett Dungan was found guilty of harassing City Councilmember, Annette Johnson. This incident occurred at an opening council meeting in the City of Bayou La Batre when Mayor Brett Dungan physically grabbed Councilwoman Annette Johnson three times and after being warned by Councilwoman Johnson to not touch her again.
1. At one point during the meeting Mayor Dungan raised his gavel over the head of Councilwoman Annette Johnson as if to strike her. At that time a local policeman took steps toward the council table. Mayor Dungan saw the officer and hit the council table instead causing damage to the council table.
C. Mayor Brett Dungan has repeatedly used his office for personal gain. Examples include, but are not limited to, using City issued credit cards to purchase for his own personal use an iPad, iPhone, amazon.com Prime Membership, Best Buy, meals for his wife, fuel purchases, and a multitude of other personal expenses. This was done without Council knowledge or approval.
1. Mayor Dungan admitted guilt to using his office for personal gain when he attempted to reimburse the City for these illegal purchases he made and did so only after his illegal actions were made public.
D. On several occasions Mayor Brett Dungan sent inappropriate emails, via city property, to Councilwoman Annette Johnson.
E. December 18, 2014 Mayor Brett Dungan fraudulently obtained a Regions Bank loan in the amount of $50,000.00.
1. Mayor Brett Dungan knowingly provided a fraudulent document, in the form of a typed letter, to Regions Bank that “mislead” Regions Bank to assume the Council had previously approved the loan as is required by law.
2. On March 12, 2015 during an open council meeting Mayor Brett Dungan admitted the council was unaware of the $50,000.00 loan.
3. This $50,000.00 loan was taken out after Mayor Brett Dungan repeatedly and publicly misled and lied to the citizens of Bayou La Batre, and the public at large, by bragging about saving the City of Bayou La Batre $600,000.00.
4. This loan was obtained by Mayor Brett Dungan a few days after the City of Bayou La Batre failed to make health insurance payments on behalf of the employees of the City of Bayou La Batre.
5. The City of Bayou La Batre failed to pay November and December’s 2014 health insurance premiums and employee health coverage was not honored by the health insurance company.
a) The City of Bayou La Batre collects money from each employee’s paycheck every payday to help pay these costs.
b) The money contributed by the employees of the City of Bayou La Batre for these healthcare costs during the months of November and December have not been accounted for to date.
6. After City Council Members discovered the $50,000.00 loan from Regions Bank that was fraudulently obtained by Mayor Brett Dungan, and during the course of Council Member’s efforts to determine the status, accuracy, and legality of city finances and questionable transfers of funds between City bank accounts, Mayor Brett Dungan locked City Council Members out of the offices of City Hall, refused Council Members access to City documents, and refused to honor Council Member requests for documents.
7. Mayor Brett Dungan has repeatedly slandered, to the public and media, individuals (both public and private citizens) in his efforts to bully and intimidate for his own personal gain. An example is the Bayou La Batre Utility Board.
a) Mayor Brett Dungan used the power of his office and the financial resources of the City of Bayou La Batre in his quest to intimidate and bully the Board of Directors of the Bayou La Batre Utilities Board into seating him as Superintendent of the Bayou La Batre Utility Baord.
b) As a result of his abuse of office for personal gain, in the spring of 2015, Mayor Brett Dungan was seated as Superintendent of the Bayou La Batre Utility Board.
c) Mayor Brett was removed from his position as Superintendent within a few weeks after he failed to show up for work.
8. On March 20, 2015 Mayor Brett Dungan allegedly hired a private company to wipe the hard drive of his official, city-owned, computer in an effort to destroy any evidence of wrong-doing.
9. Mayor Brett Dungan sold a house owned by the City of Bayou La Batre, which is located in Montgomery, Alabama for the amount of $10.00.
a) It was sold to Elton Dean, Chairman of the Montgomery County Commission.
b) The most recent assessment valued the property at $27,000.00.
c) Mayor Brett Dungan sold this house without the knowledge or authority of the City Council, as is required by law.
In closing, We the people of the City of Bayou La Batre do pray that Mobile County District Attorney, Ashley Rich will afford our City relief and immediately execute impeachment proceedings against Mayor Brett Dungan of the City of Bayou La Batre, Alabama
We the People of Bayou La Batre, Alabama
Today: Bayou is counting on you
Bayou Snadu needs your help with “Ashley Rich, District Attorney, Mobile County, Alabama, Luther Strange, State Attorney General, Alabama: PETITION FOR IMPEACHMENT OF MAYOR BRETT DUNGAN, BAYOU LA BATRE, ALABAMA”. Join Bayou and 66 supporters today.