Fix Rosanna Road before somebody dies.
0 have signed. Let’s get to 500!
See the issues in our video https://youtu.be/XkE1sUANxlY
ALL DRIVERS AND PEDESTRIANS FEEL UNSAFE AND VULNERABLE when traveling on Rosanna Road.
Please support this petition, we can't wait 10 years for the NE link to be constructed Rosanna Road needs to be resolved immediately. The government is aware of the issues but are choosing to ignore them. They have an independent safety report but will not act!
- Rosanna Road has two lanes in each direction, as well as turning lanes, that are too narrow due to the limited road pavement width.
- The growing size of heavy vehicles, often traveling side by side.
- The camber (slope) of the road towards the gutters causing large vehicles to travel along the road on angle.
- Power poles close to the roadway which are often ‘shaved’ by the top of trucks due to the camber of the road
THE EVIDENCE: The VicRoads safety study completed in 2016 outlines the safety issues.
Footpaths littered with broken side mirrors, power poles too regularly smashed by trucks, and frequent accidents.
PEDESTRIANS, INCLUDING SCHOOL CHILDREN FEEL UNSAFE walking along Rosanna Road or crossing at main intersections such as Station Street and Banyule Road due to:
- the narrow nature strip which separates the footpath and the roadway the intimidating size (and roar) of trucks, forced by the narrow lanes to pass within inches of the pavement
- Vehicles driving straight through red crossing lights
RESIDENTS FEEL UNDER THREAT whenever they attempt to drive into or out of their properties, because of:
- The sheer force of traffic, making it hard to enter – and the risk of being hit by vehicles in the inner lane
- The impatience of drivers when residents try to turn back into their properties
- The fear of being hit from behind, especially by trucks, coming up fast from the rear, often in the process of changing lanes
THE HEALTH AND WELLBEING of residents is significantly affected by constant noise, from well before 6.00 in the morning until late into the evening.
VicRoads released a noise assessment of Rosanna Road in May 2016.
The noise from traffic impacts on the amenity and health of residents on and surrounding Rosanna Road. Trucks use engine brakes day and night, disturbing our sleep and right to peace. Residents several streets back are affected by the noise. It’s unacceptable that the mental health of so many people is impacted by traffic noise from this road.
The intense volume of cars and trucks on Rosanna Road brings a heavy concentration of vehicle fumes. These fumes affect the health of residents on and adjoining Rosanna Road, including school children in playgrounds abutting the road. The concentration of emissions surrounding Rosanna Road is impacting the long-term health of our community.
SOLUTIONS TO THE PROBLEMS
Resolve Rosanna Road calls for:
- Reduced speed limit on Rosanna Road to allow people to access their driveways and improve general amenity
- Safer passage for pedestrians across Rosanna Road at all existing crossing points and an additional pedestrian crossing between Darebin and St James Roads
- Traffic lights at James Road
- Speed cameras
- Red light cameras
- Weight/size restrictions on heavy vehicles
- Trucks restricted to a single lane
- No engine braking
- Relocation of power poles back from the roadway to avoid trucks bringing them down by truck tilt
- a designated pedestrian/bike crossing over or under Rosanna Road to access Rosanna Station and shopping centre.
Even if you don't agree 100% with all the solutions Resolve Rosanna Road are putting forward, please still support this petition with your own reasons in the comment section when you sign. This is all about improving the safety for all users of Rosanna Road.
OUR LONG-TERM VISION
When the North East Link is built, our vision for Rosanna Road is a two-lane road with designated bike lanes, and a ban on all through freight vehicles.
Today: Resolve Rosanna Road is counting on you
Resolve Rosanna Road needs your help with “Anthony Carbines: Fix Rosanna Road before somebody dies.”. Join Resolve Rosanna Road and 482 supporters today.