Immediately notify parents about invasive group a strep infections in classmates
0 have signed. Let’s get to 200!
We are calling for immediate change on the notification policy to notify parents of the class immediately when one case of Invasive Strep A bacteria infection confirmed so that other students can have the letter of notification and seek the treatment when one of the symptoms of the invasive strep A bacteria symptoms appears to avoid future tragedies happened to any students and their families in BC and Canada.
Colorado State USA has the manuals managing special situation like schools for one or two cases.
Many schools inform the parents after one strep A case in to be alert.
Help John Zhung Chen, Help your own child from the exposure of Invasive Strep A Bacteria at the school
Please mail the check to the address :PO BOX 97234 Richmond Station Main Richmond BC V6X 8H3
Recipient :John Zhuang Chen
Or Donate at the website link https://www.gofundme.com/John-Chen-Medicalfund
Before infected at the school , John like any other 11 year old boy, skate, ski, play the basketball, play golf, play piano, swimming, scouting, biking, attending church choir, and wants to be an RCMP to bring the justice.
Now, sitting in the wheel chair bounded in hospital for about 4 months after 18 aggressive surgeries on the 4 limbs, the left hip was found infected before and bear 0 weight not. The mobility of all the 4 limbs are heavily limited. Need to rent a flat unit for living at least for one year after getting out of the hospital, there will be a long and tough road for rehab and may need more surgeries in the future.
John Zhuang Chen had a cough, a little fever and sore throat and left leg pain on March 22nd Wednesday so he did not go to school and rested at home. On the following day his left leg pain aggravated and he could not get out of the bed. On Friday March 24th, John was carried to the family doctor since his groin and leg pain was so severe and could not walk at all. The substitute family doctor checked John and said it was a muscle injury, if pain did not go away, just took some Advil and sent him home without any testing. On Saturday March 26th, John was given some Advil after lunch since his leg pain was not getting better. John could not sleep in the midnight due to the left leg pain and sweating. So his parents took him to the BC Children’s Hospital Emergency. The diagnosis from the BC Children’s Hospital was invasive Strep A bacteria attacked his tendon and blood after the exploratory surgery and he was in aggressive operation on his four limbs for weeks.
Over a week before John got sick, one of his classmate was also infected Invasive Strep A bacteria and isolated for life saving treatment in hospital for several weeks. BC centre of disease control think John was infected at the school. At this time, after one case of invasive group A strep infection, the school is not notified, thus the parents of the class with invasive Strep A bacteria is not notified either unless the death occurred from the invasive strep A bacteria like what happened in Taylor Park Elementary School in Burnaby in 2011 when a student died from the Invasive strep A bacteria.
We are calling for immediate change on the notification policy to notify parents of the class immediately when one case of Invasive Strep A bacteria infection confirmed so that other students can have the letter of notification and seek the treatment when one of the symptoms of the invasive strep A bacteria symptoms appears to avoid future tragedies happened to any students and their families.
Information provided on the website of BC Centre of Disease control on Invasive Strep A bacteria
In 2015, there were 234 cases of iGAS in BC
The bacteria are spread from person to person through close personal contact with the nose and throat secretions of an infected person:
Breathing in air contaminated with streptococcal bacteria when an infected person has coughed, sneezed, or talked
Kissing, sharing drinking cups, forks, spoons, or cigarettes
Touching the nose and throat secretions of an infected person
Touching articles recently contaminated with the nose and throat secretions of an infected person
People with chronic illnesses such as cancer, diabetes, and chronic heart or lung disease, and those who use medications such as steroids have a higher risk for iGAS. Persons with cuts to the skin, wounds, or chicken pox, the elderly, and adults with a history of alcohol abuse or injection drug use also have a higher risk for disease.
Excerpt from the email content to John’s parent from BC Centre of Disease Control:
"Dear Mr. Chen,
I think I may not have been clear. It is because we think that John was infected at school that we think it is important that we report this in the scientific literature. What I was trying to say was that we don’t know whether John and Asher were both infected by a third person. We have been informing our colleagues in British Columbia and across the country about what we saw in your son’s school, to determine if we need to change national and provincial policy, to make sure we include all the information available.
At this time, after one case of invasive group A strep infection, the school is not notified because transmission in a school is not expected. "
John was isolated for life saving treatment on March 26th Sunday and this is part of the notification letter on March 27th Monday from the BC Centre of Disease Control to the school and parents of the John’s class:
"March 27th, 2017
To Parents and Guardians of Students in Division 5
We are writing to let you know that two students in your child’s classroom have been diagnosed with serious infections caused by a bacterium called Group A streptococcus.
Sometimes, close contacts of people with infections caused by this bacterium can also get sick. Although the risk is low, we ask parents that:
You watch for symptoms of infection in your child. Common symptoms of streptococcal infection include fever, sore throat, and feeling unwell. More information about these infections can be found at:
If your child develops any of these symptoms, please take them to see a doctor right away, and take this letter with you"
Without this notification letter, parents will not be alert when the child is not feeling well, the family doctors could misdiagnose, the hospitals could mistreated with other illness like normal flu etc. Causing tragedy to your child.
Richmond father wants schools, public health officials, to immediately notify parents about serious infections in classmates
Today: sam is counting on you
sam chen needs your help with “Andrian Dix- Minister of Health BC: Immediately notify parents about invasive group a strep infections in classmates”. Join sam and 100 supporters today.