- Honorable Andrew CuomoGovernor of New York State
Repeal Vacancy Deregulation
Landlords have a strong motive to boot out rent regulated tenants. That's because landlords can claim the rent exceeds $2700 (sometimes based on "improvements") and take it out of rent regulation forever.
And that means landlords try to buy out or harass out regulated tenants.
So if we end the motive, we end the harassment, and keep our homes affordable for ourselves and the next generation. We also cut homelessness.
In 2019, the rent laws will be renewed again. But we can't wait until then. Urge Governor Cuomo, your Assembly Member and your State Senator to repeal vacancy decontrol when they renew the rent laws and
- end harassment and many evictions
- re-regulate tens of thousands of apartments
- reduce homelessness
- stop the drain of affordable housing
- increase the number of people who have the rights of rent regulation, including the right to to a renewal lease at a rate fixed by the Rent Guidelines Board; the right to complain without fear of eviction; and the right to have the family members living with them for years get the apartment if the primary tenant leaves.
Please sign now - and email your legislators!
- Governor of New York State
Honorable Andrew Cuomo
I and other New Yorkers need you to repeal vacancy deregulation.
New York City has a housing emergency in part because we are losing more affordable housing than we can build.
Vacancy deregulation motivates landlords to encourage (legally or not) tenants to leave their homes, and increases homelessness.
So repealing vacancy deregulation is the right thing to do economically and morally.
My neighbors and I are counting on you to save our homes, keep us from harassment, and preserve the affordable housing stock in New York City by repealing vacancy decontrol when the rent laws are renewed this June.
Sue Susman started this petition with a single signature, and now has 596 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.