Make Balloon Releases Illegal-balloons kill wildlife, pollute the earth, and waste helium
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
When a balloon is let go, it will blow away, only to burst or deflate & return to pollute the Earth.
• Balloons can travel thousands of miles, polluting the most remote & pristine places. Once they do, they become a danger to any animal that comes in contact with it.
• Birds, whales, sea turtles, bighorn sheep, & other wild &domestic animals have been killed by balloons.
• When an animal swallows a balloon, it can block its intestinal tract, leading to starvation.
• Sea turtles & other marine creatures are known to confuse balloons as jellies.
• Ribbons & string that are sometimes attached to balloons can cause entanglement & death.
• Falsely-marketed as “biodegradable”, latex balloons contain chemicals & can take years to break down.
• Mylar/foil balloons can cause dangerous power outages & spark fires. They also can take several years before breaking down.
• Balloon releases are becoming popular with charitable events, memorials, or to bring ‘awareness.
• Balloons used in advertising are often let go – a wasteful practice for any business.
• Helium is a non-renewable resource & experts warn it should be conserved for more important applications.
• Only 5 states and a handful of cities have laws against balloon releases within the United States currently.
• There are many alternatives that will not pollute the Earth or harm animals. We can opt for reusable banners, flags, ribbon dancers, pinwheels. For memorials & fundraisers, we can plant trees, gardens or build birdhouses – actions that promote life. Perhaps organize a clean-up in a loved one’s honor or blow bubbles.
Every long journey is taken by making the first step. Our first step is to ban these releases in Colorado.
Today: Amity is counting on you
Amity Vargas needs your help with “Amity Vargas: Make Balloon Releases Illegal-balloons kill wildlife, pollute the earth, and waste helium”. Join Amity and 29 supporters today.