* Americans don't eat horses. Horses are our companions in sport, recreation, work, and entertainment; and are a living symbol of the pioneer spirit. Horses are not bred as a food animal, and thus are not raised in or under FDA rules for "food animals."
* Slaughter is not a humane death, and is not equivalent to euthanasia. The methods used to slaughter horses were designed for cattle and smaller animals, and are not effective nor humane for any equine. Captive Bolt pistols meant to render the horse unconscious rarely do so on the first strike, and horses must endure being struck multiple times in the face or head with a 4 inch bolt. Often horses are not rendered fully unconscious, and are slaughtered while still aware.
* History has shown that the horse slaughterhouses that had previously operated in the US were a drain to their community; creating multiple environmental problems, a decrease in home and land values, and a large social stigma about the community.
* Proponents cite that horse slaughter "saves" surplus horses from neglect, abandonment, and starvation. In fact, neglect, abandonment, and starvation are illegal. Offenders should be criminally charged, and not allowed to profit from their crimes. Additionally, an increase of slaughtered US horses has not reduced known causes of neglect and starvation in the past.
* Animal cruelty should never substitute for responsible animal stewardship. Excess horses are human created, resulting from over breeding in industries such as Premarin production (HRT drugs made from pregnant mares urine), the horse racing industry, the show horse industry, riding stables, etc. Rather than analyzing the viability of new slaughter plants, proponents and regulators ought to focus on irresponsible breeding and guardianship.
ramona leach started this petition with a single signature, and now has 3,858 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.