Feb 4 - Plastics in Packaging Webinar - Save the Date!
Jan 29, 2021 —
Plastics in packaging is a topic we can all stand to learn a bit more about. This is a great FREE opportunity to do so and to collaborate with experts who are facing packaging challenges in their day-to-day work.
Please join this Free Webinar produced by our friends at Santa Cruz Master Recyclers. Featuring eight industry professionals as they take a deep dive into the role plastics play in packaging, the experts will discuss challenges, successes and experiences they face in their efforts to transition to sustainable measures.
Date And Time
Thu, February 4, 2021
9:30 PM – 11:00 PM EST
Add to Calendar
About this Event
Plastic pollution is one of the most critical environmental challenges facing the planet. Virtually all plastic ever produced still exists, and almost one-third of plastic consumed each year directly pollutes our land, oceans, and food chain.
By now we’re all aware of how plastic waste pollution has become a world-wide problem of monumental proportion… but where does plastic come from and why is it so central to our way of life? How is it used and what is being done to insure a more sustainable existence?
We're taking a deep dive into how our region is addressing the numerous challenges of transforming an industry that significantly impacts the health of our planet and ourselves. Join in our webinar discussion with eight industry professionals as we examine the different types of plastics used in packaging & the journey it takes from manufacturing through the end of life cycle.
Waste Management Presenters
• Mary Scheller – Master recycler for the City of Santa Cruz will kick off our presentations with discussing the role plastics play in our food system. We'll be taking a look at the different types of plastic packaging used for products, their functionality, myths & misconceptions, and the end of life cycle.
Regional waste management representatives from Santa Cruz, Monterey and San Benito Counties will be discussing how plastics get recycled in their respective counties, consumer challenges, what's working and what's not. Regional goals for addressing sustainability, landfill & what the public can do to move things along.
• Leslie O’Malley – Waste Reduction Program Manager for the City of Santa Cruz
• Janna Faulk – Recycling Coordinator for Salinas Valley Recycles
• Angela Goebel – Public Education & Outreach Specialist / Monterey Regional Waste Management District
• Celina Stotler – IWM Staff Analyst / San Benito County Integrated Waste Management
• Sara Lozano – Marketing + Product Development, Sambrailo and ReadyCycle sustainable packaging.
• Lauren K. Olsen – Zero Waste Manager for World Centric / Sustainable packaging food grade to go products for the take-out food industry
• Jeff Anderson – Co-founder of Full Cycle Bioplastics / Transitioning from fossil fuel based plastic to biodegradable plant matter based.
Have a relevant event, article or other tidbit to share with us? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a great weekend!
Keep fighting for people power!
Politicians and rich CEOs shouldn't make all the decisions. Today we ask you to help keep Change.org free and independent. Our job as a public benefit company is to help petitions like this one fight back and get heard. If everyone who saw this chipped in monthly we'd secure Change.org's future today. Help us hold the powerful to account. Can you spare a minute to become a member today?I'll power Change with $5 monthly