ALL Heyworth Students Allowed a Full Recess
This petition had 60 supporters
Heyworth Elementary uses recess removal as a punishment for children who misbehave or who have incomplete work.
Proven benefits of Recess (http://crisstanek.com/recess_research/)
- Improves physical health
- Enriches mental and emotional health
- Enhances classroom learning opportunities and cognitive skills
- Reduces behavioral problems
- Improves social skills
- Increases attention and concentration
- Allows practice of conflict resolution
- Teaches cooperation
- Teaches respect for rules
- Allows for sharing and turn taking
- Improves communication and language skills
- Gives opportunities to problem solve in real world situations
The Illinois State Board of Education has compiled a task force report on Recess with an extensive review of the literature. (http://www.isbe.net/IRTF/pdf/recess-task-force-rpt.pdf
ISBE recommendations include:
1. 30 minutes of Recess during the school day for ALL children, PreK-8th grade year round.
2. Recess be well supervised and safe, using administrators, teachers, staff and volunteers.
3. Recess be primarily an unstructured play time with opportunities for structured games.
4. Recess should NOT be withheld as a form of discipline, however extra minutes could be earned as an incentive.
5. If attached to lunch period, recess should occur before lunch.
By Signing I am supporting changing Heyworth School policy and giving ALL children grades PreK-6 the opportunity for a full 30 minutes of recess every day.
Today: Cris is counting on you
Cris Stanek needs your help with “ALL Heyworth Students Allowed a Full Recess”. Join Cris and 59 supporters today.