Saving democracy in our Queensland Public Service Union
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100!
Alex Scott, Secretary of our Queensland Public Service Union, Together, and his Executive team are planning to shut down democracy in our Union by proposing changes to our Union Rules . Our Union's most democratic of meeting structures, the Annual General Meeting (AGM) of members, is about to be dismantled if our Union's governing body, the Together Council, approves these Rule changes. For details of the proposed Rule changes go to:
If these proposed changes are approved, our members will no longer be able to:
- attend AGMs to find how and on what our money is being spent (assuming members' money is ever returned to our State Union's accounts after those funds were stripped away from those accounts and transferred into the coffers of our counterpart ASU federal branch);
- hold Union Executive accountable to members for the financial performance of our Union;
- ask about Core EB and other industrial outcomes;
- ask questions of our Union Executive on other important governance issues and, more importantly;
- receive answers from Executive to those questions that can be tested in a proper democratic forum;
- have a mortality benefit payout to our dependents in the event of the member’s death;
have democratic decision-making in our Union, with Executive planning to take away from our elected Council delegates the power to make decisions on key financial matters such as the amount of our annual Union member subscriptions and giving those powers to themselves. More fee hikes on the way to fund those Executive salary increases? Centralised decision-making at the expense of democracy in our Union?
I have asked Alex and our Union President, Vivienne Doogan, for a 'please explain' on why they no longer want an AGM of our members. I have not received the courtesy of a reply from either Alex or President Doogan. It's time for all of our members who care about democracy in our Union to let our Council delegates know what we think about these planned Rule changes before they vote on the changes in the next few weeks.
Please support this Petition and save democracy in our Union!
Today: Anthony is counting on you
Anthony Collins needs your help with “Alex Scott, Secretary, Together Queensland Union (TQU) 2. Vivienne Doogan, President , TQU : Saving democracy in our Queensland Public Service Union”. Join Anthony and 48 supporters today.