Africans Get Fiscal (An Initiative on the impact of FISCAL CLIFF in the African Immigrant Community.)
WE NEED YOUR HELP…
On December 31, 2012, if Congress and President Obama fail to come to an agreement on measures to avoid the FISCAL Cliff, extreme cuts will be made and alter funding for the treatment of HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis, social services, education and a host of other programs that directly affect the African community. These cuts will change the way the Cameroon American Council serves the community and impact our grassroots efforts. In addition, there will be a yearly tax increase of $2,200 on middle class families which will change the way you spend money in the U.S and support your family back home in Africa (go to http://www.whitehouse.gov/my2k for more information). If FISCAL Cliff occurs, the very scope on how health issues are addressed, how government programs are dispersed, and how we spend our hard earned money will significantly change.
The FISCAL Cliff will:
● Reduce funding for HIV/AIDS and Hepatitis prevention and treatment
● Increase taxes on families by $2,200 a year
● Cut a select group of programs critical to providing services to children and families such as Medicaid and Welfare services
● Create job loss and possibly cause another recession
● Cut government benefits for veterans, Medicare, and federal programs
● Reduce government resources and threaten the ability of nonprofits like the Cameroon American Council and other African serving organizations to serve their communities
This is a critical and crucial time for our community and time is running out. With your voice and your help let’s make our concerns known. Please join us by signing the petition as we ask Congress to consider the long term effects the FISCAL Cliff will have on the African community (www.theaction.org to take further action).
On Tuesday, December 4, 2012 please follow up with your local congressional office and tell them:
1. You are against cuts that will negatively impact funding for health care, child care, increased state/local taxes and government benefits.
2. Raising taxes by $2,200 on middle class families will create financial strain and greatly affect the way you take care of your family.
3. The efforts of nonprofits such as the Cameroon American Council are vital for our community and help to bring a voice to a group that is so often overlooked.
We did it with the election, let’s do again
with the FISCAL cliff...make your voice count!
The National African Immigrants and Refugees Health Advocate Program (AIR Health) started this petition with a single signature, and now has 148 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.