NY Assembly Passes “CLEAN” Adoption Reform! Governor Cuomo Can Lead Us to History!
Jun 21, 2019 —
Friends of “clean” adoption reform,
YES! The NY Assembly has overwhelmingly passed the “clean” adoptee rights bill (A5494 / S3419)! Soon, it will travel to Governor Andrew M. Cuomo. With his signature, he can make NY the 10th U.S. State with a policy of unrestricted access to original birth certificates for all adult adoptees (and the 8th to enact such a law via “clean” adoption reform!) He can lead us to an awesome victory towards equality for all citizens! Please stay tuned for more details!
- Passed Assembly 6/20! (140 – 6 is official vote count!)
- Passed Rules Committee 6/20 (Speaker Heastie)
- Passed Codes Committee 6/19 (Chairman Lentol)
- Passed Health Committee 4/30 (Chairman Gottfried)
- Passed Senate 6/3! (56 – 6 is official vote count!)
- Passed Health 5/14 (Chairman Rivera)
With Governor Cuomo’s approval this year, the law would take effect on January 15, 2020.
We continue to thank:
- You—This week, we made history with Assembly passage of “clean” adoption reform!! Thank you for your ongoing support of our human and civil rights appeal. Including you, we count 8,700+ petition supporters and rising—Please keep sharing!
- Sponsors Assemblymember Weprin (A5494) and Senator Montgomery (S3419). And over 100 legislative cosponsors!
- Allied advocates from across the state, including our American Adoption Congress (AAC) members and those from the New York Adoptee Rights Coalition (NYARC). This week we worked together to advance our great bill!
- The American Adoption Congress, where Tim also serves, for encouragement all session. Check out, join and support the AAC!
Adoptee rights are human rights!
Adoptee rights are civil rights!
Adoptee rights will again be New York rights!
Stay tuned for further updates and next steps to appeal to Governor Cuomo to lead New York forward!
Tim, Doris and Jennifer
*Photo: Assemblymember David Weprin, Tim Monti-Wohlpart, Claudia Corrigan D’Aarcy, Jennifer Sarro and Annette O’Connell, with immense thanks to the great Carol Ann Lemon!
Keep fighting for people power!
Politicians and rich CEOs shouldn't make all the decisions. Today we ask you to help keep Change.org free and independent. Our job as a public benefit company is to help petitions like this one fight back and get heard. If everyone who saw this chipped in monthly we'd secure Change.org's future today. Help us hold the powerful to account. Can you spare a minute to become a member today?I'll power Change with $5 monthly