No New Sand Mines for the You Yangs Precinct
This petition had 2,753 supporters
- The iconic You Yangs Regional Park (Victoria, Australia) is under threat from sand mining.
- If developers get their way a new huge 202 acre sand mine will go ahead in the You Yangs Precinct and impact massively on the environment, wildlife, tourism and all who use the area for recreation and enjoyment.
- A haven for wildlife on a dry plain between Melbourne and Geelong.
- A special place for the Wathaurong people.
- Attracting up to 1 million visitors annually.
- The only place in Australia where international tourists, can view kangaroos and koalas in the wild this close to a capital city.
- A significant area to bird watchers.
- Enjoyed by bike riders, families, horse riders and bush walkers.
- Highly regarded by Film Victoria as a exceptional location for international and local films, most recently "The Dressmaker" being filmed on the North side of the park at Mt Rothwell Station.
- The You Yangs must be protected from mining at all costs, with the threat to the environment, wildlife and tourism from 50+ extra trucks per day.
- Mining in this area is so wrong for so many reasons and must be stopped.
- A permit application for the new mine is currently before the City of Greater Geelong. That once given a permit for 999 years will be felt for generations to come.
Photo credit www.bettermobilephotos.com.au
Today: Catriona is counting on you
Catriona Rowntree needs your help with “Administrators for the City of Greater Geelong: No New Sand Mines for the You Yangs Precinct”. Join Catriona and 2,752 supporters today.