Activism against Underage Alcoholism
This petition had 222 supporters
Filipinos are the second highest consumers of alcohol in South East Asia after Indonesia, and number one in terms of wine drinking. Moreover, approximately 5000 young people ages 21 below die as a result of underage drinking each year. This includes about 1900 deaths from motor vehicle crashes, 1600 as a result of homicide, 300 from suicide, as well as hundreds from other injuries.
As a matter of fact, underage alcoholism is not just a cause of death, but it is also a negative habit that affects our body, specifically the excretory system. In addition, since young people have yet to develop their mental and physical capabilities, alcoholism may give them a greater risk of facing numerous health and social consequences compared to adults. Some of these effects are:
- Vitamin and mineral imbalances occur due to the interference of alcohol in the body's absorption process.
- Nephritis, or the inflammation of kidneys, may be acquired. Some symptoms of this disease are swelling of body tissues in the legs, feet, and hands.
- Kidney failures may also occur and lead to the last stage of liver cancer.
- When one's kidneys and liver lose their functions, the body reaches a critical state and may result to death.
- Common side effects include appetite changes,vomiting, weight loss, headaches, sleep disturbance, and even comatose.
- They are more likely to be involved in car accidents.
- Alcohol helps in increasing depression.
- Negative outcomes occur with their academic performance.
- They would have a hard time in being able to maintain relationships with peers and friends, especially when they consume more alcohol than what is usual among their peer group.
- Adolescents are making themselves vulnerable to being the victims of crimes and may even display aggressive behavior.
Knowing these negative impacts of underage drinking of alcohol, one should keep in mind to control themselves and choose to be better.
Remember, avoid alcohol today and cast one's worries away!
Today: Ernestine is counting on you
Ernestine Cuenca needs your help with “Activism against Underage Alcoholism”. Join Ernestine and 221 supporters today.