A CALL TO MONITOR EMISSIONS FROM POOLBEG INCINERATOR & PUBLIC ACCESS TO EMISSION LEVELS
This petition had 556 supporters
Despite many years of campaigning and protesting by the communities affected, the controversial Poolbeg Incinerator is now close to operational, and is expected to start burning waste in late 2016/early 2017 even in light of recent and past reports that the operator of the incinerator has failed to meet emissions standards at other sites internationally.
To protect the health and welfare of the surrounding communities, it is crucial that the incinerator’s operator, Covanta, The Minister for Communications, Energy and Natural Resources, The Environmental Protection Agency, The European Parliament and Dublin City Council are properly held to account.
We the undersigned along with Dublin Bay South Social Democrats are calling on all of these stakeholders to implement the below.
-A publicly accessible online system to publish the results of a live emissions monitoring system which will include the information on emissions and volumes of waste incinerated and to be updated in real time. See Appendix A for a full list of this information.
-Shutdown of any stacks which exceed emission levels as set out by the EPA license until the source of the problem is identified and remedial action has been taken to ensure the emissions are below the levels as set out in the EPA license
-Make available publicly the methods and validation of the testing methods.
-A proper and prompt system of fines where any emissions exceed the levels outlined in the license.
-Appointment of a DCC liaison officer to the community to allow residents to raise any and all concerns with the operation of the facility with particular reference to the upkeep of the road infrastructure approaching the facility, the preservation and enhancement of road safety as well as the mitigation of any road transport impacts arising from the facilities operation, (including the removal of any harmful byproducts of the incineration process by road.)
Proposed monitoring frequency and parameters to be published as per Dublin Bay South Social Democrats proposal.
A publicly accessible online system to publish the results of a live emissions monitoring system which will include the information on emissions and volumes of waste incinerated and to be updated in real time:
• Daily emissions reports (as per section 6.11 of the Waste License, aligning with compliance with emissions limits as set out in Schedule 2 of the same document. ·
• Daily CO2 Emissions Produced;
• Daily Emission of Particle Pollution (2.5 to 10 micrometre diameter);
• Daily Ammonia emissions produced;
• Daily Hydrogen Fluoride Emission
• Daily Furan emissions produced;
• Operational hour limit(s) of flue gas filters
• Daily Oxides of Nitrogen emissions produced;
- Publication of the following metrics on the publicly accessible online system:
• Daily tonnage of waste incinerated;
• Origin of waste incinerated (as per 11.3.2 of the Waste License);
• Precise nature of waste incinerated;
• Vehicle movements on/offsite;
Today: Dublin Bay South is counting on you
Dublin Bay South Social Democrats needs your help with “A Call To Monitor The Emissions From The Poolbeg Incinerator & Public Access To The Emission Levels”. Join Dublin Bay South and 555 supporters today.