Sign the petition to let IVGID know you care about our environment.
This petition had 64 supporters
Residents of Incline Village are known for their appreciation of the outdoors, being health conscious, and being environmentally mindful. That’s why it makes sense that Incline Village should lead by example in the Tahoe Basin to add a fee to plastic and paper bags. By adding a fee, we are paying for the cost of a wasteful item used once or twice, and creating awareness to bringing reusable bags when we shop.
In this small town our largest two supermarkets use about 500,000 bags per year! It has been proven that by adding a fee to the bags used, consumption is greatly reduced.
By signing this petition you are telling IVGID you care about this issue and would like to see a bag fee added to to any bag used in Incline Village.
Reasons to support a reduction of plastic bags:
1. Plastic bags are one of the top items of litter on our community beaches, roads, sidewalks, and vegetation along with cigarette butts and Styrofoam.
2. Because of their light weight, plastic bags fly easily in wind, float along readily into area streams and Lake Tahoe, get tangled up in trees, fences, poles, and so forth, and block the drainage.
3. Plastic bags are made from a non-renewable natural resource: petroleum. . In addition, plastics are hazardous to produce; the pollution from plastic production is harmful to the environment.
4. Countless plastic bags end up in our oceans and lakes and cause harm to our marine wildlife. Many marine animals and birds mistakenly ingest plastic or become entangled and choke in plastic bags that are floating around. For instance, environmentalists have pointed out that turtles often mistake plastic bags for jellyfish and invariably swallow them.
5. Tahoe bags are generally not recycled in the Tahoe area. Very few recycling centers accept plastic bags because they are of little recyclable value. Although your local supermarkets collect used plastic bags for recycle, very few are actually recycled.
Today: Dorea is counting on you
Dorea Shoemaker needs your help with “A bag fee in Incline Village: Sign the petition to let IVGID know you care about our environment.”. Join Dorea and 63 supporters today.