- Brian CraneThe Government of Ontario Canada
- Ronald DoeringChief Negotiator for Canada
- Randy HillierMember of Provincial Parliament Lanark-Frontenac-Lennox & Addington
- Bud ClaytonMayor North Frontenac Township
- Scott ReidLanark-Frontenac-Lennox and Addington
70 lakes threatened with development; Government of Ontario: Amend the draft Algonquin AIP to remove all development parcels.
The draft Algonquin Land Claim puts a disproportionate burden environmentally and economically by designating for development 70+ sensitive lakes/wilderness lands. In effect, lands designated for development are a mechanism to transfer money to the Algonquins. This transfer would happen quicker for all parties by increasing the $300M cash settlement without the negative impacts on sensitive lakes and woodlands.
The Algonquin stated objectives (i) to promote long-term environmental, social and economic well-being, (ii) to consider the Algonquin interest of protecting Mother Earth and the water, and (iii) to consider the need to protect and conserve the wildlife and the biological productivity of the land are not consistent with massive development of 70+ lakes!
Removing the "to be developed" parcels would also remove the disproportionate economic burden and uncertainty on those Ontarians in Lanark-Frontenac-Lennox and Addington who have lived near and used these lands for generations. Wilderness cannot be used as a cheap way to transfer money.
Remove all land parcels slated for developement in the draft agreement and ensure the final agreement prohibits any development of land parcels set for conservation - Conserve Ontario's Wilderness!
- The Government of Ontario Canada
- Chief Negotiator for Canada
- Member of Provincial Parliament Lanark-Frontenac-Lennox & Addington
- Mayor North Frontenac Township
- Lanark-Frontenac-Lennox and Addington
Amend the draft Algonquin Land Claim to remove all 70 sensitive lake development parcels.
Chris Albinson started this petition with a single signature, and now has 274 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.