BREAKING! NY Governor Cuomo Hears Us and VETOES Adoptee Discrimination Bill!
Dec 30, 2017 — Friends of “CLEAN” adoption reform,
On this cold night in New York, adoptee rights are just getting warmed up! The regressive, expensive and unacceptable bill, A5036-B / S4845-B, has been vetoed by Governor Cuomo! Your urgent calls and letters to him have been heard! Now, Governor Cuomo says he supports “greater access to birth records” and he has called for a workgroup to help chart a path forward!
We send a huge thanks to Governor Andrew M. Cuomo on this historic night! We also thank his senior staff for meeting with us in July and accepting our petition and supporting materials!
• We will gain specifics of potential next workgroup steps and keep you, our 3,500+ (and growing) supporters, posted!
• Together, let’s keep growing this petition!
• When the legislature reconvenes next week, we will continue our support for the true, multi-partisan and “CLEAN” New York Bill of Adoptee Rights (S5169-A / A6821-A)!
To see Governor Cuomo’s entire veto statement (Memo 252), go to:
CURRENT APPEAL / BILL STATUS:
1. VETO of A5036-B / S4845-B:
COMPLETED. As reported tonight (12/29), the unacceptable bill’s “Actions” status is “vetoed memo.252”
2. Support for S5169-A / A6821-A
The New York Bill of Adoptee Rights. Adult adoptees deserve equal rights, with unrestricted access to original birth certificates. The bill remains in the Assembly and Senate Health Committees. It may advance when the legislature is slated to convene in January 2018.
Together, our voices helped make human and civil rights history tonight!
We’re just getting warmed up for adoptee rights in the Empire State!
Tim, Doris and Jennifer