4 NYC Lawmakers Destroying Small Business (and how to stop them)
This petition had 726 supporters
New York City's small businesses are being forced out of business at record rates due to real estate speculation, greed, special interests, and a complicit group of New York City's elected officials. Without legislation to protect our small businesses, the millions of people they employ, and the character of our neighborhoods, New York City stands to lose the economic and social backbone of our communities.
We call upon New York City elected officials to call for a Public Hearing and Vote on the Small Business Jobs Survival Act (SBJSA) and give equal rights to our small businesses, save our jobs, and protect the character of our neighborhoods.
The crisis faced by small business owners to survive has grown worse due to the failure of New York City’s top lawmakers:
- Mayor Bill de Blasio
- City Council Speaker Melissa Mark-Viverito,
- Public Advocate Leticia James
- Small Business Committee Chairman Robert Cornegy
These are the lawmakers we elected based on the promises they made during their campaign. Now they are failing us. They have abandoned their progressive values to special interests and are not promoting progressive legislation like the Small Business Jobs Survival Act (SBJSA).
The Small Business Jobs Survival Act (SBJSA), a bill currently in the City Council with a majority of Council support (27 of the 51 Council Members), would give all business owners:
- The RIGHT to renew their lease
- The RIGHT to negotiate fair lease renewal terms
- The RIGHT to legal protections against unfair renewal terms
Enough is enough.
We demand that Mayor de Blasio, Speaker Mark-Viverito, Public Advocate James, and Chairman Cornegy call for a Public Hearing and Vote on the SBJSA and end:
- Using City Hall to promote special interests over our common welfare
- Colluding with special interests behind closed doors at City Hall
- Prioritizing big real estate’s profits at the expense of our small businesses
Today: Kirsten is counting on you
Kirsten Theodos needs your help with “4 NYC Lawmakers Destroying Small Business (and how to stop them)”. Join Kirsten and 725 supporters today.