24 hours to tell FEMA: prioritize elders and people with disabilities
During recent climate disasters, FEMA has not done enough to ensure the safety and well-being of elders and people with disabilities, people who are at high risk during emergencies. We demand that they work with disability and senior advocates to develop plans that address special needs into disaster planning protocols and operations, and provide infrastructure support to home care workers and caregivers as first responders during times of emergency.
FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.
Let’s call on FEMA to live up to their own mission and change their policies to reflect this urgent need. Our loved ones, including elders, people living with disabilities, and caregivers, cannot wait a day longer.
Sign the petition and we will deliver your message directly to FEMA on the one year anniversary of Superstorm Sandy - on Oct 29th. Act now so this won't happen again.
- W. Craig Fugate, Administrator, FEMA
We urge you to support our citizens and first responders during disasters by:
- Consulting disability advocate, senior and home care worker organizations to do a full needs assessment for emergency planning and disaster relief
- Including and prioritizing the needs of elders and people with disabilities in your disaster-related operations
- Working with local relief agencies, disability advocates and caregiver organizations to implement these new inclusive guidelines so that elders and people with disabilities get the care and support they need
- Formally recognizing the crucial role that caregivers play as first responders and providing infrastructure support and specialized resources to home care workers and caregivers during times of emergency.
Today: Caring Across Generations is counting on you
Caring Across Generations needs your help with “24 hours to tell FEMA: prioritize elders and people with disabilities”. Join Caring Across Generations and 9,884 supporters today.