DNR Reports “Common Themes” - NO BUILD ALTERNATIVE is only Option
Dec 18, 2017 — While the DNR did not feel they had to report a list of common concerns regarding Kohler’s proposed golf course to Friends of the Black River Forest, they did report them to Kohler.
In an email from the DNR to Kohler Company, the DNR reported the common themes they received from the Public at the Public Meeting in Sheboygan in August. The opposition to the Golf Course is overwhelming.
Below are the reported “ Common Themes”
• Concern that the easement will ultimately be greater than 5 acres
• Kohler land is not big enough to develop a championship caliber golf course; Kohler will be asking for more land
• Public parks should not be used for private profit
• LAWCON funds were used, the land is intended to benefit public use-not support private financial gains
• In 1984 a similar request was denied based on LAWCON funding restrictions. What changed? This request should also be denied based on LAWCON.
• What are the recreation benefits to park users by cutting down trees, bulldozing and filling ancient sand dune formations, and building a 24,000 square foot private maintenance facility?
• No privatization of state park land-State Park lands belong to the public and should not be used for private development.
• If any private citizen can ask for an amendment to accommodate their personal buildings, can’t I request an amendment too?
• Setting precedence of giving away public land for political favors(unethical cronyism)
• Kohler should access their property from their own land on the northside(Kohler’s River Trails property)
• Kohler needs to live within their means; should be required to put their maintenance shop on their own land
• Wetland impacts
• Impacting pivotal dune ecosystem-should not be building in this area
• Do your job and protect the environment
• Concerns with the bridge and its capacity for the expected amount of traffic
• Concerns with the expected amount of traffic, its impact on neighbors and feeling that the roundabout will not adequately move traffic through(delays to park users)-joint use of the park entrance will be a traffic nightmare
• Construction of the roundabout will n egatively impact access to the park and park users experience
• Concern about fire safety and adequate access for emergency vehicles
• Impacts to rare species and Native American artifacts
• We should not be reducing limited flyways for migratory birds
• We don’t need another golf course
• The DNR needs to entertain a discussion of Kohler’s other options
We continue to request that the DNR must NOT set a precedent of stealing land from Wisconsin residents and giving to the highest bidder. We are requesting the Wisconsin DNR to PROTECT OUR ENVIRONMENT AND PRESERVE WISCONSIN'S PUBLIC LANDS.
Please continue to share this petition and let the Wisconsin DNR know they must deny Kohler Company the use of public State lands for their private profit.
Let the DNR know that the NO BUILD ALTERNATIVE is the only option!