- Baroness Neville-RolfeMinister of State (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy)
- Nigel AdamsCulture, Media and Sport Committee
- Matt Hancock
- Michael Dugher MPShadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport
- Julie Ward MEPCommittee on Culture and Education
- Helen Hayes MPMember for Dulwich and West Norwood
- Chi Onwurah MPShadow Minister (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy) (Industrial Strategy)
- Deidre Brock MPShadow SNP Westminster Group Leader (Scottish Parliament/Scottish Government Liaison)
- Pete Wishart MPShadow SNP Westminster Group Leader (Leader of the House of Commons)
- Kevin Brennan MPShadow Minister (Culture, Media and Sport) (Arts and Heritage)
- John Whittingdale MPSecretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport
- David Warburton MPEuropean Scrutiny Committee
- Dr Rupa Huq MPShadow Minister (Home Office) (Crime and Prevention)
- Tim Razzall MPLiberal Democrat Lords Spokesperson (Civil Service and Public Sector Reform)
MPS can: Save Our Songs - SOS! "10p a Play" on streaming music
0 have signed. Let’s get to 100.
If we care about music then we need to pay for it.
Whilst it is legal to listen for free, people will listen for free!
Look at these 3 facts:
- Artists royalties from streaming are pitiful (£0.006 per play)
- The music industry is shrinking
- Spotify doesn't make a profit
THIS IS UNSUSTAINABLE
3 steps to save music:
- Make free streaming illegal (such as Spotify's free service)
- Police and shut down illegal pirate sites
- Introduce a 10p a play law on all streaming (come on kids - you can pay 10p)
How would 10p a play work
- Each streaming service requires a "pay as you go" account (including youtube music videos) - (this would replace subscription based streaming)
- If you listen to a song 10 times on a platform - you own it - £1 for a song you clearly love!
- Make the British Music Industry great again!
Imagine a world without music! - Artists like myself cannot survive like this.
Kevin Kadish - "For a song like ‘All About That Bass,’ that I wrote, which had 178 million streams,” Kadish began, without specifying any streaming services. “I mean $5,679? That’s my share. That’s as big a song as a songwriter can have in their career and number one in 78 countries." - “But you’re making $5,600. How do you feed your family?”
La Roux - “Spotify, thanks for the £100 for this quarter just gone, one more month and I might be able to afford your premium service,” La Roux tweeted. “Lucky me!”
Songwriters are a dying breed: the number of actively-working songwriters in Nashville has plunged 80 percent since 2000. And that doesn’t even count the supporting cast of studio technicians, licensing administrators, producers, and session musicians that once earned solid salaries.
One band posted their royalty statement online:
Over 1 MILLION plays = less than $5k - that's not enough to support ONE band member for 3 months let alone 5 members for a year.
10p a play would = £100,000 (less 2.5p for platform and 2.5p for label) = $50k - not a fortune for the band; but a step in the right direction without asking too much from music listeners.
A little story in how the world currently operates:
A musician takes his bike to a repair shop, he's in there for 20 mins; during which time he can hear his album is being streamed from a laptop. At the end of the 20 mins the musician is asked to pay £40 for the bike repair; the musician asks the mechanic - "do you like this album?"; the mechanic says "I love it! I'm listening to it for free on Spotify!"; the musician says "well, this is my album - how's about knocking 40p off my bill?"; the mechanic says "on yer bike mate!"
- Minister of State (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy)
- Culture, Media and Sport Committee
- Matt Hancock
- Deputy Prime Minister and Leader of the Liberal Democrats
Nick Clegg MP
- Shadow Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport
Michael Dugher MP
- Committee on Culture and Education
Julie Ward MEP
- Member for Dulwich and West Norwood
Helen Hayes MP
- Shadow Minister (Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy) (Industrial Strategy)
Chi Onwurah MP
- Shadow SNP Westminster Group Leader (Scottish Parliament/Scottish Government Liaison)
Deidre Brock MP
- Shadow SNP Westminster Group Leader (Leader of the House of Commons)
Pete Wishart MP
- Shadow Minister (Culture, Media and Sport) (Arts and Heritage)
Kevin Brennan MP
- Secretary of State for Culture, Media and Sport
John Whittingdale MP
- European Scrutiny Committee
David Warburton MP
- Shadow Minister (Home Office) (Crime and Prevention)
Dr Rupa Huq MP
- Liberal Democrat Lords Spokesperson (Civil Service and Public Sector Reform)
Tim Razzall MP
10p a Play on streaming music - Save Our Songs - SOS!
Alfie (David) Jackson started this petition with a single signature, and now has 28 supporters. Start a petition today to change something you care about.
Today: Alfie (David) is counting on you
Alfie (David) Jackson needs your help with “"10p a Play" on streaming music - Save Our Songs - SOS!”. Join Alfie (David) and 27 supporters today.