First of all I thanx Hon’ble Chief Minister of Haryana Ch. Bhupinder Singh Hooda, for giving me opportunity to present my views before this State Committee for Slaughter Houses, let me introduce myself now: I am founder Chairman of the People for Animals (PFA) Haryana www.pfaharyana.in and representing United Nations affiliated OIPA in India www.oipa.org , Master Trainer to the Animal...
First of all I thanx Hon’ble Chief Minister of Haryana Ch. Bhupinder Singh Hooda, for giving me opportunity to present my views before this State Committee for Slaughter Houses, let me introduce myself now: I am founder Chairman of the People for Animals (PFA) Haryana www.pfaharyana.in and representing United Nations affiliated OIPA in India www.oipa.org , Master Trainer to the Animal Welfare Board of India, former nominee of CPCSEA, Nodal Inspecting Authority for Haryana and adjoining area of Rajasthan, Animal Welfare Division (Govt. of India).
My observations and proposals for consideration:
1. Animal is a State subject and article 51 A(g) of the Indian Constitution defined our fundamental duties, where as the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960 read with the rules made out under section 38 of this Act, all offenses are non-cognizable in legal terms, excepting some sub sections. I am in the opinion that a sub committee may kindly be constituted to frame guidelines, rules and regulations to safe guard the animals from un-necessary pain and sufferings, transportation rules for camel along with the breeding rules for Japaneses Quails, Rabbits and Emu, Prevention of Cruelty (Egg laying Hens) Rules, where as exotic migratory birds needs attention, because these birds are being hunted. Animal Welfare Act, 2011 draft is being tabled for discussion.
2. Animal Transportation Rules, 1978 amended in 2001, the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Transport of Animals on Foot) Rules, 2001, the Animal Birth Control (Dogs) Rules, 2001 along with the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Slaughter House) Rules, 2001, the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Establishment and Regulation of Societies for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) Rules, 2001, the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Registration of Cattle Premises) Rules, 1978, the Prevention of Cruelty (Capture of Animals) Rules, 1972, the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Application of Fines) Rules, 1978 needs attention, for strict compliance and implementation, because SPCA’s are not properly notified nor functioning.
3. Proper functioning of the Infirmaries as required under section 35 of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960 and fixation of the feeding charges of animals sheltered during court trials, cattle ponds are also not yet properly established with in the Municipal limits.
4. Animals are being badly abused during their transportation towards slaughter houses in goods transport vehicles, where as animal can be transported in ISI specified vehicles, allowing sufficient space as per their shape and size. If any goods transport, private vehicle involved in animal abuse then their registration needs cancellation.
5. Cow and oxen - bulls along with their male calves are being left stray, badly transported in the closed body container for slaughtering to the neighboring state, where as slaughtering of these animals are prohibited in Haryana. Haryana Gau Sewa Aayog has been constituted but State Animal Welfare Board not yet reconstituted, hence I am in the opinion that the following proposals may kindly be forwarded to the Gau Sewa Aayog, Haryana for further consideration:
A. To recommend Session Trials for crime against cow, oxen and their calves.
B. To recommend the declaration of the cow, oxen and their calves as a State Domestic animals of Haryana, to protect these species.
C. To recommend gau charan land be handed over to the Gaushala’s and feeding charges be given to them as per Hon’ble High Court orders.
D. All stray cows, bulls and their calves need to be rescued and rehabilitated in the gaushala’s – Infirmaries.
Kurukshetra and Pehowa are the holy places but non vegetarian food are being served by the many Hotels and Restaurant, proof are tabled for strict legal action against all offenders, Special Task Force needs to be set up with in the fold of Haryana Police to check and control animal abuse during their transportation from one place to another towards slaughter houses. CC TV camera installation be mandatory for all approved Slaughter Houses and Meat shops, to monitor strict compliance of the legislation’s concerned, recognized cattle ponds animals be micro chipped along with the pet buffaloes and cows, male calves needs attention in the Modern Dairy Farms, oxytocin injections are being used for lactation, where as it is an cognizable offense as per section 12 of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960. Animal abusers registry be prepared for further publication on public domain, battery cages and molting be banned for poultry, to minimize the stress, pain and sufferings, recognized animal rights activist be empowered Police power as per section 34 of the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Act, 1960. Police protection may kindly be provided to the non official members of the State Committee for Slaughter Houses; all illegal slaughter houses needs to be crack down, fast track special court needs to be set up for speedy trials of animal abusers, Report of the National Commission on Cattle (Rashtriya Govansh Ayog) July 2002, Department of Animal Husbandry & Dairying, Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India needs attention.
State Committee for Slaughter Houses (Govt. of Haryana).