Lt. General Daniel B. Allyn has made the decision to close Cleland Ice Rink on Fort Bragg effective 27 April, as part of cuts due to sequestration. Ft. Bragg is the home of FORSCOM, United States Special Operations Command, 82nd Air Borne, 18th Airborne, and many other critical units.
More than 75,000 skaters use Cleland Ice Rink each year, almost all of which are families of active duty military personnel.
This Ice Rink is the home to the Cape Fear Fire Antz Youth Hockey Association, the Fort Bragg Patriots (27 on post hockey Teams), a learn to skate program and Figure Skating programs.
Cleland underwent $2.7 million in renovations over the last 18 months, only to now be shuttered.
The arena is profitable, more than covering its own operating expense, and is not a drain in anyway on resources at the base. Unprofitable recreational activities, such as the golf course, are not being shut down.
How You Can Help:
1. Sign this petition!
2. Share this petition with everyone on your contact list.
3. Contact Colonel Jeffrey M. Sanborn at (910)-396-4011 and tell him to fight to keep Cleland open.
4. Contact North Carolina state representatives and tell them stand up for the families of our nation’s heroes.
5. Call your Federal elected officials in the House and Senate and demand they end sequestration.
6. Tell base commanders how you feel on Facebook and Twitter.
7. Join Defending the Blue Line on Facebook and Twitter.