Petition against Parking Lot and Playground in Fairview Park (southwest quadrant) at the north end of Pacific Ave, Costa Mesa, CA.
We, the undersigned residents of Costa Mesa, CA request the reversal of the Parks and Recreation Commission’s Aug. 22, 2013 approval of the Fairview Park Entryway Concept Plans (agenda 8) which includes the following changes in the southwest quadrant of the park at the end of Pacific Avenue. Changes are; A)parking lot, B)playground, and C) entrance and exit driveways. This approval by the Parks and Recreation should be reversed because:
1. Proposed parking lot exceeds Master Plan size and is not warranted.
2. A playground is active use and would degrade the mesa even more.
3. There is no need for a community playground, there is one a block away at Vista Park.
4. There is no need for emergency access at Pacific as there already exists two emergency access routes; one at the end of Canyon Drive (closer to the fire station), the other on Victoria St. (which allows access below)
5. Traffic and Speed of traffic will increase on Pacific Ave. from people coming up from Huntington Beach since Pacific Ave. is next to Huntington Beach border. Pacific Ave is an already negatively impacted residential street. It is a windy street with blind corners - safety will be even more of an issue.
6. There is no need for handicap access since it already exists at Placentia Street and Canyon Street.
7. There is a much higher need for restoration of native flora and fauna on the mesa, vernal pools, and vernal marsh, thus taking steps to enhance Fairview Park as a truly Passive Nature Park as the Fairview Park Master Plan envisioned.