- Manage and develop a team of 10, including work allocation, systems training, performance evaluations, and the building of an effective and efficient team dynamic.
- Bring best-in-class thought leadership to developing, refining and (financially) mapping Change’s growth strategy.
- Communicate, engage and act as strategic business partner to the CEO, COO, Executive Leadership team and Board of Directors.
- Assess and evaluate financial performance of the organization and provide insight and recommendations with regard to short term operational goals and long-term strategy, budgets and forecasts.
- Identify, acquire and implement systems and software to provide critical financial and operational information. Make suggestions for automating processes and increasing efficiency.
- Develop and maintain the annual company operating budget. Utilize forward-looking models and financial analyses to develop insight into the organization’s operations.
- Review and analyze monthly financial results, then prepare and present monthly financial reports including monthly budget vs. actual by department and department, and weekly cash flow.
- Prepare financial presentations for Board meetings and engage the finance committee and/or board of directors to develop short term and long term plans, projections and budgets.
- Identify, develop and execute analysis of business initiatives, product launches and/or new service offerings and provide insights and recommendations
- Manage financial planning and analysis department. Supervise creation of reports, software implementation and tools for budgeting and forecasting.
- Lead a high-quality finance & accounting operation.
- Supervise the global accounting department, ensuring an efficient and accurate monthly close, accurate and timely financial statements and management reporting, and functioning systems and software.
- Supervise all cash movements (approve large payables, sign checks, release wires, etc) and ensure appropriate internal controls.
- Manage the annual audit, the timely filing of all tax returns, and compliance with national and local laws across multiple global markets.
- Management excellence. Exceptional people management skills; passionate about achieving team success; able to inspire and motivate the team. The ability to coach and mentor a distributed, global team and guide next-level leaders. An aptitude for managing skip-levels (e.g. a manager of managers) and demonstrated success in developing internal talent.
- Leadership ability to serve as key member of the senior executive team in providing input to the CEO, COO, investors, and management regarding the financial implications of all major business decisions. Expertise in distilling the most important insights for key audiences (i.e. Board of Directors, broad team, Executive team), and an ability to initiate and drive change in a way which inspires others to follow.
- Business acumen/Strategic excellence with a proven ability to lead executive thinking around financial models, strategy, and customer acquisition costs. .
- Breadth & depth of knowledge of global finance operations as it related to governance, equity, valuations, revenue recognition & international accounting. You should have tactical expertise with venture-backed tech start ups, and the commensurate ability to be hands on and dive in.
- It’s rare that a candidate has a ‘perfect’ set of relevant experiences, we do not expect this, and all candidates are encouraged to apply, even if you are missing some of the items in the list below. Experiences we’ll be looking out for, and which we think will be helpful coming into a role like this are:
- Growth & Scale: you have VP or CFO-level experience at both high growth companies (eg $20M to $100M) and those who have gone through a contraction.
- Consumer Tech: You have demonstrated success scaling high growth, profitable, early-to-mid-stage venture-backed start-ups.
- Governance: You have experience working directly with venture-backed boards.
- Global: demonstrated success in financial leadership at companies with global scale.
- Management: You have built multiple finance teams and managed managers.
- Speed: You have experience leading finance in a high-velocity, agile, lean startup environment (fewer than 200 people)
- Mission: it’s a plus if you have worked at a mission-driven organization, an impact-focused company, or done extensive personal work in the social change or humanitarian space.
- Mission first: You are low-ego and believe that the first priority should be advancing the social change mission of the organization.
- Focus: you value clear strategy and focused goals, and see high performance as a result of strong cultural values, not working 100 hour weeks.
- Direct communication: You are open to and create a culture of honest, direct, regular, compassionate feedback. These are not buzz words for you; you’re genuinely committed to building an environment of honest, supportive communication.
- Commitment to diversity: You have a deep commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive team, demonstrated through such things investing heavily in recruiting people from a wide range of backgrounds, removing unconscious bias in interviews, and ensuring staff can bring their full selves to work.
Change.org is the fastest growing social change organization in the world, empowering more than 200 million people to create change in their communities.
We are building a world-class team of technologists and creatives along with the most accomplished team of social movement creators in the world.
Plenty of vacation