Director of Technical Operations
- Employee - FT
- United States and Canada (San Francisco, New York, Washington DC and Victoria)
The main outcomes we expect from our Director of Technical Operations:
- Leadership: Provide exceptional leadership & management needs for our growing Technical Operations team while balancing cost, schedule, and innovation-based solutions to challenging technical problems.
- Operational Excellence: Lead the team to explore new technologies to continuously improve our tools and infrastructure capability and quality.
- Strategy: Define and drive overall directions for support, efficiency, systems resiliency, disaster recovery, and systems integrity including defining strategic goals, fiscal operating planning, tracking progress against goals, and ensuring the team delivers the desirable outcomes.
- Communication and Coordination: Build partnerships with other development teams and business teams to understand their service needs. Ensure a clear communication with cross-functional teams. Collaborate with other engineering teams to ensure software reliability and security.
- Recruiting: Recruit and hire a diverse and inclusive team of engineers.
- Performance management: Mentor and coach engineering managers, and provide guidelines for teams to meet organization goals. Empower managers to manage the activities around employee performance assessment, tracking, metrics, and appraisal.
- Quality Assurance: Build a QA automation team for the organization that sets quality procedures & standards, creates testing tools, and supports developers to ensure smooth and high quality releases.
- Security & Compliance: Build a small Security team with effective practices that encompass communications, applications and infrastructure, including the policies and procedures which apply.
- Vendor Management: Lead teams to evaluate vendors & their services, negotiate contracts, and work with vendors to develop operational efficiency and performance.
The most important capabilities for the role are:
- Planning & Execution: Have extensive experience in planning and executing ideas to support system operations in a fast-paced environment.
- Technical Operations Management: Experience with demonstrated success in guiding and leading 24x7 global Infrastructure and DevOps team. Experience in building Security or QA teams.
- Leadership and Strategy: Experience in creating team goals that aligns with organization vision and goals.
- People Management, Coaching & Mentorship: Experience in building and managing multiple teams, and managers.
- Vendor Management: Experience in evaluating services and vendors. Effective negotiator who can collaborate with legal, finance and other business stakeholders to balance organizational budget and services.
- Communication: A good communicator who sets standards of collaboration and communication across a large group. Is viewed as a leader who proactively starts conversations that solve problems.
- 10+ years of experience in Infrastructure (DevOps) engineering.
- 6+ years of direct management experience (6+ direct reports)
- Hands on experience working with the following technologies: AWS or GCP
- Mission first: You are low-ego and believe that the first priority should be advancing the social change mission of the organization.
- Focus: you value clear strategy and focused goals, and see high performance as a result of strong cultural values, not working 100 hour weeks.
- Direct communication: You are open to and create a culture of honest, direct, regular, compassionate feedback. These are not buzz words for you; you’re genuinely committed to building an environment of honest, supportive communication.
- Commitment to diversity: You have a deep commitment to creating a diverse and inclusive team, demonstrated through such things investing heavily in recruiting people from a wide range of backgrounds, removing unconscious bias in interviews, and ensuring staff can bring their full selves to work.
Change.org is the fastest growing social change organization in the world, empowering more than 200 million people to create change in their communities.
We are building a world-class team of technologists and creatives along with the most accomplished team of social movement creators in the world.
Plenty of vacation