Sr. Infrastructure Engineer - SF
- North America - United States
Change.org is the world's largest technology platform for social change. Our goal is to empower people everywhere to start campaigns around the issues they care about, mobilize others, and work with decision makers to drive solutions. We’re also an innovative business – a "social enterprise” and a certified B Corporation, with a business model designed to support positive social impact (more about B Corps: www.bcorporation.net). Over 30 million users have signed winning petitions, including strengthening hate crime legislation in South Africa; fighting corruption in Indonesia, Italy, and Brazil; ending the ban on gay Boy Scouts in the United States, and big wins for women’s rights in India. And we’re just getting started. Here’s a small snapshot of what was changed last year: www.change.org/2014 We love serving our incredible users, and we love our staff too. We show it with very competitive salaries, five weeks of vacation, robust maternity and parental leave, an amazing culture, free language training (if you want it), and a high impact, low-ego team that can’t wait to learn from you and teach you what they know. Change.org is seeking a Sr. Infrastructure Engineer who will be part of the team responsible for deploying, managing, and monitoring our global infrastructure. This position reports to the Infrastructure Team Manager. The ideal candidate has experience with infrastructure-as-code environments as well as time in the chair as an operator/troubleshooter. We like true generalists who are comfortable at several different layers in the stack. We are growing rapidly around the globe and there is ample opportunity for each engineer to put their stamp on parts of the architecture. When we get busy, it’s likely that we’re making headline news somewhere. Along with the standard sysadmin dedication to the site, we also get the distinct pleasure in knowing that our site stats equate with empowering people all over the world. The Infrastructure team takes great pride in using our powers for good.
Here's what you'll do as part of our team:
- Continuously improve our existing Chef code, updating and improving as we go
- Monitor our front-end nodes, internal services, databases
- Participate in our on-call rotation, currently ~1 week in 6
- Work with constituent engineering teams in building out global service oriented architecture
- Help move the baseline towards the ideal DevOps & CI platform
And here are the skills & experience we hope you have:
- BS in Computer Science or related technical field or equivalent experience
- 5+ years experience in public facing systems operations
- Familiar with Linux and Bash
- Working understanding of firewalls, security groups and networking
- Familiar with Chef and/or Puppet
- Experience with AWS and/or Rackspace
- Experience with Redis, Cassandra, Node and/or Rails is helpful
This is a full-time opportunity, based in San Francisco. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed. We are working for a world where no one is powerless, and where creating change is a part of everyday life. We're just getting started, and we hope you'll join us.
Change.org is the fastest growing social change organization in the world, empowering more than 50 million people to create change in their communities.
We are building a world-class team of technologists and creatives along with the most accomplished team of social movement creators in the world.
5 weeks vacation
Free language training