Systems Engineer - SF
- North America - United States
Change.org is the world’s largest petition platform, empowering more than 75 million users to win incredible and inspiring victories on the issues they care about. We’re an innovative business – a certified “B Corp” – combining the structure of a business with a powerful sense of mission that drives our work. Over 25 million users have signed winning petitions, including strengthening hate crimes legislation in South Africa; fighting corruption in Indonesia, Italy, and Brazil; ending the ban on gay Boy Scouts in the United States, and big wins for women’s rights in India. And we’re just getting started. We love serving our incredible users, and we love our staff too. We show it with very competitive salaries, five weeks of vacation, robust maternity and parental leave, an amazing culture, free language training (if you want it), and a high impact, low-ego team that can’t wait to learn from you and teach you what they know.
Here's what you'll do as part of our team:
- be part of a small, close-knit team
- build and scale those core services and remove obstacles that prevent great things from happening by building fast and reliable services.
- Some of the technologies we use are: Nginx, Ruby on Rails, Java, Node.js, Dropwizard, Redis, MongoDB and MySQL.
And here are the skills & experience we hope you have:
- built that cool service or tool your peers used and then wonder how they ever worked without
- sound understanding of Linux, process management, networking and network protocols
- experience in scalable web site deployments
- familiarity with MySQL and/or Redis
- working knowledge of Ruby on Rails, Unicorn & Nginx
- knowledge of Chef or similar configuration management tools
- properly size-up a situation to understand the potential risk versus gain
- put in place tools to ensure the reliability, availability and serviceability of a service
- identify and analyze issues across the entire stack
- learn new skills quickly as the need arises
- JVM configuration and performance tuning
- MySQL multi-master
The position is located in San Francisco. Change.org is an exceptionally agile and collaborative work environment. Your co-workers are high-impact, low-ego, and have a deep respect for our users. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed. We are working for a world where no one is powerless, and where creating change is a part of everyday life. We're just getting started, and we hope you'll join us.
Change.org is the fastest growing social change organization in the world, empowering more than 50 million people to create change in their communities.
We are building a world-class team of technologists and creatives along with the most accomplished team of social movement creators in the world.
5 weeks vacation
Free language training