Media and Communications Strategist, Change.org India
- Foundation Team India
- Employee - FT
- New Delhi, India
Here’s what you’ll do as part of our team:
- Develop and implement a media relations strategy which includes proactive media networking, pitching stories and spokesperson interviews, organizing interviews, creating media briefings, press releases and responding to media requests.
- Lead and implement the social media outreach plan of the organisation, write engaging social media content and work with designers to create viral social media content
- Create effective media messaging and content around national and regional campaigns
- Provide immediate communications support for rapid response petitions and spot exciting media trends on the site to package content for traditional and social media channels
- Develop a network of media contacts (print, electronic, and digital) across national and regional media and interact with editors/journalists regularly, including Hindi and other regional media.
- Work closely with the campaigns team and the Country Director to arrange media interviews, bytes, opinion pieces and press conferences.
- Conduct basic research for media pitches and talking points on campaigns
- Travel extensively to different cities to scope the media landscape and build relationships with journalists
- Build a regional media plan, specifically for Change.org Hindi
- Organise on ground events like panel discussions, press conferences, film screenings etc., on media projects
- Work closely with the Director of Communications and partnerships to identify, scope and connect with strategic decision makers to engage on campaigns started on Change.org.
- Maintain relationships with vendors/stakeholders/partners for media projects and related on ground events
Here are the skills & experience we hope you have:
- Experience of at least 6 years in journalism/media relations and a strong news sense
- Proven track record of excelling in media relations, communications and social media outreach.
- Strong network of contacts in print and electronic media, including at the level of editors
- Good grasp of Indian politics, the political process and current social justice, economic and environmental issues within India and internationally.
- Ability to write content for traditional media and social media within a tight deadline, strong editing skills and a flair for writing
- Knowledge of media operations and editorial policies
- Fluency in written and spoken English. Working knowledge of Hindi is a must. Good communication skills (spoken, written and typing) in Hindi would be an advantage. Knowledge of another Indian language would be preferred.
- A deep commitment to our mission of empowering people to win campaigns on a broad range of issues.
- Bring innovative ideas on how to use communications, media and storytelling to win local, national and international campaigns - and a willingness to take risks, to fail, and to adapt.
- Enjoy working in a global, online environment, using social media and collaborating using online tools.
- Strong leadership and persuasion skills. A track record of good judgement in fast-paced situations.
- Strong rapport-building and relationship skills.
- Proactiveness and a can-do attitude across a variety of campaign issue areas.
Change.org is the fastest growing social change organization in the world, empowering more than 200 million people to create change in their communities.
We are building a world-class team of technologists and creatives along with the most accomplished team of social movement creators in the world.
Plenty of vacation