You seem to have had an issue loading this page or you have javascript disabled, which may cause problems while using Change.org. To avoid any further inconvenience, please enable javascript in your browser and refresh this page.
End Bush tax cuts
  • Petitioned Tell Congress

This petition was delivered to:

Tell Congress

End Bush tax cuts

    1. Sponsored by

      <span>CREDO Action</span>

It's outrageous. The average tax break from the Bush tax cuts enjoyed by the top 1 percent of Americans is larger than the average income of the rest of the 99 percent.

And after a decade of giving money to those who literally didn't need it, the deficit caused in large part by the Bush tax cuts is being used as an excuse to take away the social safety net that protects the most vulnerable members of society.

Tell your member of Congress and your senators: End the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy.

Ending these cuts should be a no brainer. They had been set to expire at the end of 2010, but President Obama ended up cutting a deal with the Republican leadership to extend the cuts for another two years.

And we know that the cuts won't be allowed to expire at the end of this year without a big fight.

Republican intransigence on the Bush tax cuts was at the heart of the failure of the Super Committee.

Not only did the Republicans on the Super Committee want the Bush tax cuts to be made permanent, they took the morally bankrupt position that we should blow a bigger hole in the budget by giving even larger tax cuts to the rich.

Simply extending the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy alone would cost us more than $700 billion over the next decade.

There is very little that so clearly demonstrates the callous venality of some members of Congress than the simultaneous demand to give the Koch brothers a tax cut while pushing benefit cuts to programs like Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid.

Tell your member of Congress and your Senators: End the Bush tax cuts.

Democrats caved in 2010, and Republicans expect them to cave again. Between now and the end of the year, we can expect a relentless push to make the Bush tax cuts permanent.

But this is a fight we can win if we are relentless, too. In this case gridlock and inaction work to our benefit because we don't have to pass a bill - we just need to ensure that Congress doesn't pass a bill that extends the Bush tax cuts past this year.

The first step is speaking out and laying down a marker so that your member of Congress and senators know their constituents want the Bush tax cuts to end.

Tell your member of Congress and your Senators: End the Bush tax cuts.

Tell Congress
We need to end the Bush tax cuts for the wealthy. When we're brutally cutting the social safety net, it's outrageous that we are giving tax breaks to the richest Americans.

[Your name]

Recent signatures


    1. Reached 10,000 signatures


    Reasons for signing

    • George Thomas FRAZIER PARK, CA
      • almost 2 years ago

      I can not afford an additional $2000 in taxes, neither can most middle class families. Millionaires can afford tax increases.

    • Grace Boardwine BLUE RIDGE, VA
      • almost 2 years ago

      I believe we must control the debt and the wealthy must contribute.

    • Carol Lynn Harp BLACK DIAMOND, WA
      • almost 2 years ago

      Let's get back to what works.

    • Jonathan Tong KENMORE, WA
      • almost 2 years ago

      We tried "trickle down economics" already for eight years under Bush; it crashed the economy in '08. Cut the crap and do what's right for ALL Americans, not just the wealthiest 2%.

    • Kevin McMillin EAGLE, CO
      • almost 2 years ago

      we need to do everything to protect our children


    Develop your own tools to win.

    Use the Change.org API to develop your own organizing tools. Find out how to get started.