There is still time to stop the sale of our state assets. The assets cannot be sold until the State Owned Enterprises (SOE) Act is changed and this will take until mid-2012 to complete. So sign this petition to tell Members of Parliament you want our assets kept in full public ownership.
Currently the government is planning to sell a 49% share in Mighty River Power, Meridian Energy, Genesis and Solid Energy. and a further 24% share in Air New Zealand.
Various polls during 2011 showed that the majority of New Zealander’s are opposed to the sale of our state owned assets (75% in the Massey University NZ Study of Values Survey released in November 2011).
Some reasons for the opposition include:
- asset sales being viewed as a short-sighted solution to our current economic issues
- wanting to maintain public ownership of strategic assets
- wanting to maintain public ownership of income producing assets
- not believing that ownership of the shares will stay in NZ hands after the initial share float
- not believing that private ownership of an organization necessarily produces better outcomes than those achieved by the public sector
- a belief that more innovative solutions can be created to reduce the current government deficit
- a view that as the environmental cost of producing energy is so high that the energy enterprises should aim to minimize energy consumption, rather than growing energy demand to increase profits to shareholders
Signing this petition will send an email directly to the Members of Parliament listed below asking them to stop the sale of our assets.
This petition is addressed to:
The New Zealand House of Representatives
Copies will be sent to:
Prime Minister, John Key
Minister of Finance, Bill English
Minister of State Owned Enterprises, Tony Ryall
Leader of United Future, Peter Dunne
Leader of Act, John Banks
Leaders of the Maori Party, Tariana Turia and Pita Sharples
Leader of the Labour Party, David Shearer
Leaders of the Green Party, Russell Norman and Metiria Turei
Leader of NZ First, Winston Peters
Leader of the Mana Party, Hone Harawira