The City of Berkeley is considering terminating our curbside recycling program based on a a consultant report (read the full report here) which is seriously flawed (read a summary of the problems with the report here)
The Ecology Center urgently needs our help to save this community-based program:
1) Call or email your City Council representative today. Council members' phone numbers and email addresses may be found here. To find your district, refer to the district map on the City's website.
2) Do your best to attend the Berkeley City Council Meeting Tuesday, March 8th at 5:30pm in the City Council Chambers, 2134 Martin Luther King, Jr. Way.
3) Sign this petition letting the Berkeley City Council know why you disagree with this decision.
4) Use your Facebook status update to spread the word. Here's some text you can copy and paste: "The Ecology Center is at risk. Please voice your support! Like their Facebook page (http://facebook.com/ecologycenter.org) for more details."
5) Above all, spread the word to friends, family, neighbors, and coworkers.
The future of our the Ecology Center, the Berkeley curbside recycling program is at stake!
Update (March 6, 2011): a few people have pointed out that the City of Berkeley is not planning to terminate the city's recycling program but rather determining whether city staff or Ecology Center staff should do the hauling.
This is indeed true. However, we remain concerned that the information from the consulting report is flawed. This means the decisions to be made by the City Council on this matter could result in a program that starts with the wrong foot and is set to face unnecessary challenges or (much worse) fail in the long run.