1) It is illegal for this forest to be cleared.
2) From Redd-Monitor.org: “Clearance of these forests will release huge amounts of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere, it threatens important populations of the Critically Endangered Sumatran orangutan and Sumatran tiger, among other species, and it threatens the ecosystem services and livelihoods of numerous local communities in and around Tripa."
3) Once the forest is gone, the livelihood it provides for the area people will be gone. The animals will be gone. The healthy functioning of the ecosystem will be gone, never to return.
3) This forest is home to myriad animals, including the Critically Endangered Sumatran Orangutan and Sumatran Tiger. According to a recent article on the Huffington Post, "In addition to being home to almost every large animal found in Disney's adaptation of 'The Jungle Book,' it's teeming with thousands of plant and insect species, many yet to be identified."
4) To sum it up, this is a humanitarian, environmental, and animal rights issue which needs speedy intervention to keep disaster from happening. Clearing this forest for palm oil is an act of crime against the humans who depend on the forest to sustain the water supply, food supply, and livelihoods. It is a crime against all the animals who live there. And it is a crime against all of humanity who will never have the opportunity to experience the beauty of this ecosystem again, all for a limited resource - palm oil.
All children are inspired by different things, often things which they group up to be involved in and inspired by all the more. The inspirations of children run the gamut of human interest - from sports, art, music, dressing up, to jokes, movies, cars and airplanes.
My inspiration as a child was animals. And as I've grown older, I've only become more inspired and awed as I've learned about more of the facts and details about various lifeforms on our planet and how we all rely on each other to survive.
I wrote this petition in thanks to that which inspires me, and with the hope that some of the great beauty of our natural world might survive to inspire other children. What is life without inspiration? This ecosystem must live on, for the sake of it's own beauty as well as for many practical reasons. Please sign it and share it with others who can appreciate saving that which inspires.