Pass laws to protect Rhode Islanders from deadly Contact Voltage
  • Petitioned RI State Legislators

This petition was delivered to:

RI State Legislators

Pass laws to protect Rhode Islanders from deadly Contact Voltage

    1. Petition by

      Contact Voltage Info

The life you help save from contact voltage could be your daughter’s. It happened to us.

On May 5, 2006, our 14-year old daughter, Deanna Camille Green, was killed by 277 volts of electricity when she touched a wire fence in a city park during our church’s softball game in Baltimore, MD. Her young life was horrifically taken from us by an invisible danger lurking beneath our city streets and parks: contact voltage. Ever since, we have been on a mission for our daughter’s legacy to prevent other families from experiencing a similar tragedy. We have testified twice before the Rhode Island General Assembly to urge the passing of bills S-2387 and H-7532 into law, and we ask you to support these bills with us.

Thank you, Anthony “Bubba” and Nancy Green

Contact Voltage is a major safety hazard in which electricity leaks from deteriorated or faulty underground power equipment, causing publicly accessible objects -- like fences, manhole covers, and fire hydrants -- to become energized. Contact voltage has injured or killed people and pets throughout the world. 

Rhode Island needs contact voltage testing laws because:

• Contact voltage hazards have been found in Providence and all across Rhode Island.

• In Providence, a 10-month old Labrador puppy named Luna was electrocuted and killed in January 2011 when she merely walked in the slush on a city street energized by contact voltage. Her owner was bitten and shocked trying to save Luna, and was lucky to survive herself.

• While testing occurs in many U.S. and Canadian cities, utility companies often opt for shortcuts and outdated technology rather than spend the necessary funds to help ensure public safety.

• Mandatory mobile testing is currently the most effective and efficient means of contact voltage detection. At this time, mobile testing occurs only in New York -- where our own utility company, National Grid, is now required to use this method in its upstate service territory -- and to a limited extent in Maryland.

In partnership with the Rhode Island SPCA and the RI Veterinary Medical Association, the Deanna’s Lyric Foundation and the Contact Voltage Information Center (CVIC) are petitioning the Rhode Island General Assembly to enact a contact voltage testing law here to protect all Rhode Islanders from injury or death.

Please sign this petition urging your lawmakers to learn about this issue and take proactive steps towards mitigating electrical hazards. Pass it along to your friends and family-- you will help make a difference.

Visit www.cvicfacts.org for full coverage of the issue.

 

Recent signatures

    News

    1. Reached 100 signatures

    Supporters

    Reasons for signing

    • Pamela Zabel GREENE, RI
      • over 2 years ago

      I value human life

      REPORT THIS COMMENT:
    • Penny Dellow EASTBOURNE, UNITED KINGDOM
      • over 2 years ago

      I cannot believe that in USA this is legal to have electricity cables/wires exposed - time to introduce laws making companies make everything safe otherwise USA will be a third world country as this would be expected in one!

      REPORT THIS COMMENT:
    • Tammy Beaudoin NORTH PROVIDENCE, RI
      • over 2 years ago

      I think this is long overdue and since i have pets and walk them and myself i want to make sure they are safe as well as me

      REPORT THIS COMMENT:
    • Gloria Loch PORT NORRIS, NJ
      • over 2 years ago

      To support Mr. & Mrs. Green. To stop this accident that tragically killed there daughter. I grew Up with Mr. Green and No parent should EVER HAVE TO GO THRU THIS.

      REPORT THIS COMMENT:
    • Neville Bedfordq PROVIDENCE, RI
      • over 2 years ago
      REPORT THIS COMMENT:

    Develop your own tools to win.

    Use the Change.org API to develop your own organizing tools. Find out how to get started.