We residents of the City of Louisville, hereby request that the Louisville Metro Historic Landmarks and Preservation Districts Commission conduct a study and hold a public hearing to determine if the property at 2551 West Market, in the historic Portland neighborhood, should be designated as an Individual Local Landmark pursuant to LMCO 32.260 (C), the Landmark’s Ordinance as amended effective...
We residents of the City of Louisville, hereby request that the Louisville Metro Historic Landmarks and Preservation Districts Commission conduct a study and hold a public hearing to determine if the property at 2551 West Market, in the historic Portland neighborhood, should be designated as an Individual Local Landmark pursuant to LMCO 32.260 (C), the Landmark’s Ordinance as amended effective August 9, 2012. (See attached map for boundaries.) Anticipating demolition, we request designation to protect this storefront structure-- which is emblematic of Portland’s commercial past and a by-gone era, where Louisville neighborhoods were the precursors of the “sustainable” communities to which we aspire today. Consequently, pursuant to Cornerstone 2020 and Portland’s Neighborhood Plan, the community is committed to saving its corner stores and other historic structures to ensure that future neighborhood development merges “the best of the past…with the best of the future, creating a community where all residents can grow and prosper”.
Built in 1876 by August Schneider, this 19th century Italianate structure housed his business (A. Schneider & Company Grocers), on the first floor until the late 1890s. Like most merchants of the 19th through mid-20th century, Mr. Schneider dwelled in the neighborhood he served--above his store. Though Schneider would eventually expand his operations to include seed and feed supply on an adjacent site and lease the space to others, he would reside upstairs until 1903. Similarly, merchants who later acquired the building (e.g., Henry Becker in 1904) would usually reside above their business. With the exception of 1934, when the building stood vacant for a year, this structure would accommodate a series of small enterprises, including: W.W. Wyler Grocery (1900-1901), H. Bauer Saloon (1902), W. Egbert Saloon (1903), Becker Brothers’ Saloon (1904-1908), B.T. Jansen Grocery (1909-1911),
A.E. Ratteree & Son Drug Store (1911-1912), A.C. Woertz Druggist (1913-1921), C.R. Newkirk Drug Store (1922-1933), Fine Drug Store (1935-1960), E & J Dispensary (1960-1968) and the Cavalier Inn (1969-present).
We understand that the Commission may only designate a structure or property as a Local Landmark, if it receives a petition requesting designation which contains the verified names and addresses of no fewer than 200 residents of the of Louisville, 101 of which must live within a one mile radius of the building in question or within the council district. This is the base, minimum requirement and signatures from the general community gathered to demonstrate broad scale support of this petition will be accepted.