The Valparaiso Indiana City Council has yet to have a teenaged representative to share the unique perspectives, viewpoints and opinions of the teenaged and young adult population of the city. In times where the education, lifestyle and political activism of teenagers is under growing attention, it is the time to step forward.
By allowing a teenaged representative (to be replaced yearly) on the City Council, the Council will receive opinions and viewpoints from a group of widely ignored citizens, who will eventually inherit the town and Council they are currently excluded from making decisions with. With this petition, we plan to present our case to Mayor Costas and the City Council with the following requests:
1) We request that one (1) spot be alloted on the City Council specifically for a local high school student, aged 18 or older.
2) We request that this Council member be granted equal speaking and voting rights to the other Councilmen.
3) We request that this Council member be elected by the Council itself, to be done yearly.
4) We request the criterion for being a candidate for this office be as follows:
- Clean background check
- Be a resident of Valparaiso, IN.
- Be an enrolled student at a local high school.
- Be at least 18 years of age.
5) While the Council Member will not be paid, we request reimbursement for gas costs (at a rate of .30 per mile) and full travel/expenses reimbursement for travel mandated by the position.
Tell the Valparaiso Indiana City Council to give teenagers and other young adults their voice in City Government! Assign a high school student to the City Council!