Burma Massacre Fears: Reports of Phase II Expulsion of Unwanted Rohingya
By Alan Morison and Chutima Sidasathian
Thursday, October 25, 2012
AP A government official says late Thursday that 56 people have been killed and almost 2000 homes burned down in the latest outbreak of ethnic violence in western Burma (Myanmar).
PHUKET: Disturbing unverified reports are coming to Phuketwan of a ''massacre'' of Rohingya in Burma amid fears of a fresh crackdown by local authorities.
Two callers who said they are Rohingya from the Sittwe area contacted reporters this afternoon by mobile telephone.
One man claimed that 90 men, women and children who were ordered to leave the town area, had been herded into a boat, then fired upon.
The other man said there was a general push underway in Burma to complete the expulsion of unwanted Rohingya from Rakhine province, where clashes in June sparked scores of deaths and the burning of villages.