Ban the Difa-e-Pakistan Council and enforce the existing ban on its constituent parties (Sipah-e-Sahaba and Jamaat-ud-Dawa)
For the last several weeks, the Difa-e-Pakistan Council (Defence of Pakistan Council – DPC), a union mainly comprising two banned militant organizations Siaphe-Sahaba Pakistan (aka Lashkar-e-Jhangvi or Ahle Sunnat Waal Jamaat) and Jamaat-ud-Dawa (aka Lashkar-e-Taiba), has been blatantly violating Pakistan’s and international laws in full public sight.
The union of vehemently anti-Shia, anti-Barelvi, anti-Ahmadi, anti-Christian organizations has organized public rallies in Karachi, Lahore, Rawalpindi and Multan. The DPC has also organized corner meetings in other parts of the country including Islamabad and other cities.
Apparently, everyone in Pakistan is in knowledge of the illegal, anti-Pakistan activities of the DPC except Pakistan’s Interior Minister, Rehman Malik and ISI chief, General Pasha.
While there is some circumstantial evidence that DPC (Defence of Pakistan Council) is an ISI-sponsored Jihadi-sectarian project which is also supported by the Punjab government (PML-N’s Chief Minister in Punjab Shahbaz Sharif has provided full support to the DPC in organizing its three conferences in Lahore, Rawalpindi and Multan) and Imran Khan (who sent a special message of support which was read out in the DPC’s Lahore rally), it will be unfair to exonerate the federal government, Prime Minister Gilani and Interior Minister Rehman Malik, from the whole affair.
Given that Sipah-e-Sahaba Pakistan (repackaged as Ahle Sunnat Wal Jamaat – ASWJ) is a banned organization not only in Pakistan but also internationally, and given that the Jamaat-ud-Dawa (JuD) is banned internationally and is in the Government of Pakistan’s so called Watch List, why are these organizations being allowed to promote their hateful agendas, hoist their flags, chant hateful slogans against Christians, Jews, Ahmadis, Shias etc, create xenophobia about Iran, India, USA, Israel etc, and recruit more Jihadi-sectarian militants and suicide bombers?
What is the responsibility of the PPP-coalition government in the centre as well as in Sindh and other provinces? Is it fair to exonerate the PPP ministers while all they seem to care for is to save their own ministries and government even at the cost of thousands of innocent Balochs, Pashtuns and Shias target killed on a regular basis?
In view of anti-Pakistan anti-peace speeches and activities by the so called Difa-e-Pakistan Councils and its constituent parties, we ask Pakistan’s federal government to:
- Ban the Defence of Pakistan council, particularly in view of its composition (two banned organizations SSP and JuD being an integral part of the DPC), its hateful stance towards other countries e.g. Iran (the only neighbouring country with which we have relatively less sour relations), USA (the biggest donor and humanitarian aid provider), India (the most favoured nation) etc, and also towards other religions and sects (e.g., Christians, Jews, Hindus, Barelvis, Shias, Ahmadis etc);
Stop the DPC from holding public rallies and corner meeting in any part of the country;
- Stop Hafiz Saeed, Ahmed Ludhianvi, Malik Ishaq, Aurangzeb Farooqi and other known militants from appearing in and addressing public rallies and meetings;
- Inquire into the finances and accounts of the DPC and its constituent parties to reveal and stop the sources of their funding, their media campaign, conference management, and take punitive action against the financiers and managers;
- Register a legal reference or disqualification case against the Punjab CM Shahbaz Sharif and Sindh CM Qaim Ali Shah because they allowed the militant organizations to hold public rallies without any objection, enabling further hatred against Shias, Barelvis, Ahmadis, which resulted in the murder of at least 65 Shia Muslims across the country in the last six weeks, 34 of which were killed in Khanpur, Punjab on 14 January 2012.
- Examine and publicize the details of all of the cases of arrested SSP-LeJ-AWSJ militants, threats received by the judges and prosecutors, reasons for the dismissal of the cases, list of pending cases, acquittals and sentences etc;
- Legislate for Anti-Terrorist Summary Courts which are fully authorized as well as required to hear all of the Jihadi-sectarian terrorism cases and decide them within three months, award exemplary punishments including death sentence to convicted killers and master minds, and implement the death sentence within three months of the court decision. There must not be a gap of more than six months between the arrest of militants and the implementation of the death sentence.
Our research indicates that is not so much the case of enough legal support but the lack of legal implementation and the probable influence of the ISI (the chief architect, mentor and protector of Jihadi-sectarian networks) which is resulting in increasing acquittals of Jihadi-sectarian militants. However, this still does not explain why the DPC, SSP-ASWJ, JuD are being allowed to freely organize public rallies in various parts of the country and why the federal government is taking no step to stop these mobile factories of hate speech.